Accidental Arachnid Commune

Zathura2

Arachnopeon
Alright, so I've had my widow now for a few days, and it seems to be doing just fine. It's eating alright and the aquarium is just jam-packed with web everywhere. The screen that's on top has pretty small holes in it and I keep a fluorescent light on until about 9 o'clock or so, maybe an hour past dark.

The funny thing is this. I've counted about 7 or 8 little spiders now living in there too! The neatest part is that they're not just set up in the top corners, they're everywhere, using intersections in the widows web as borders to attach their own to. At any given time at least a couple of them are scurrying around, and feeding them has been no problem as I've been purposely leaving the light on for an hour or so after dark to attract small flying insects. The screen keeps most out, but some inevitably get in, and they're the perfect size for those little guys. Automatic spider feeder.:p

Also...my ant problem has seemed to work itself out. I wonder if there's a connection?:?

snakebytes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That sounds pretty cool. I've kept Latrodectus before and never observed anything like that.

Zathura2

Arachnopeon
I think it's due to the aquarium probably being excessively large for a widow, I've seen them in other pics on these boards living in something akin to beta cups, so there's plenty of room. Plus it's been outside day and night for a couple weeks.:)

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
maybe some little cellars?

i believe it whatever they are.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmmm...

Hey, isn't there a tiny sp. of spider that mooches off the larger orb weavers' catch? I can deffinately believe in inter-species commune after seeing that nature show.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was about to mention there is a several sp of spider that lives and robs the host spiders web of food. however; cobweb making spiders seem to have a fair bit of tolerance to each other-unless both mutualy attracted to the vibrations of food. they generaly will interconnect webs and then stay to their own respective corners.

A really neat communal is the common little brown strea's Put them in a small kritter keeper (about 8 of them) and watch one massive large web appear with minimal casualities. even throw in a male for a coud of offspring later on. lol

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A really neat communal is the common little brown strea's Put them in a small kritter keeper (about 8 of them) and watch one massive large web appear with minimal casualities. even throw in a male for a coud of offspring later on. lol
Darn! Why didn't I do that with mine!? All well, I have 3 more egg sacs and I have them all over here. Guess I'll just keep ones that survive living with my jumpers.

This is that common brown strea, right?

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qNAaUgM_Q8Q&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qNAaUgM_Q8Q&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Steatoda...
Yeah apologies for my Misspelling I am renkown for that. Yes that is a Steadoda, and yes for the most part will act as good communal bodies. one per corner usualy with their web touching. another good one is the common "cob web spider" the little brown ones that are shapped like widows. can't remember their names now.

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well the one in the video is Steatoda grossa. I wouldnt call them "communal", but they actually do reach very high densities even in restricted zones (such as my boiler room which is full of them) without showing any apparent signs of hostility.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
the Steatoda borealis that are found in the hundreds in my barn are crammed into the tiniest spaces, always touching. females, males, you name it. i never see them preying on each other. i'm sure it happens, but not that often.