Accepted Sizing Method?

mvbrown21

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, I’m having trouble finding an agreed upon way to size a T. When you guys speak on here about your T’s size are you measuring body length(carapace, abdomen) or are you measuring diagonal leg width? Legs sprawled fully out or just natural stance? I know it’s probably a dumb question but seriously having a problem finding a consensus. Any input appreciated. Thank you

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Usually DLS: diagonal leg span, in typical resting position

Sometimes body length

mvbrown21

Arachnopeon

Sometimes body length
Thank you so much. So for something like a Pokie though that would be not the superman pose, correct? On a related note, any idea if a Pokie can be sexed at 2-2.5 inches?

jay444

Arachnosquire

Sometimes body length
Some people also size their Ts with stretched dls. I think that sizing them in typical resting position is more representative though.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you so much. So for something like a Pokie though that would be not the superman pose, correct? On a related note, any idea if a Pokie can be sexed at 2-2.5 inches?
Depends on pokie but they're easier to sex ventrally than most other theraposidae, some like ornata are sexually dimorphic which makes things much easier. So yes it can be sexed.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Pretty sure that stretched diagonal leg span is the way to go. 😃
I agree, resting position could have too many variables depending on where the legs are at.

I have ordered slings before that were way over and way under size stated but its all how the person measuring.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I measure them with a caliper for precise measurements, DLS, front to back, and I calculate the area they take up spatially. Then I map those figures against molting, feeding frequency/quantity , and temperature data.
Biometry is powerful.

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
Most people (especially vendors) do "stretched" DLS . Yet as someone else mentioned the resting position is more representative of what you're actually getting, at least from a buyers POV.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Most people in the US use stretched DLS, but I know that some people in Europe use body length. I prefer relaxed DLS though, because as others have said, I think that it's easier to understand visually.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
As a US keeper,i always went with DLS for sizing,but this past year I have asked about body size,thorax/abdomen size specifics.
But,i like @viper69 ,s caliper idea.If I coulod just get them to stay still .:rofl: