Acanthoscurria genus lovers.

Kenley

Arachnopeon
Dear fellow hobbyst's!

We all know and love the classic of all the collection's the one that is cheap, easy to care, eats like a T-Rex and grows like weed!

Naturally it's the Acanthoscurria geniculata. It's the most popular Acanthoscurria spp. in the hobby and no wonder it's hard to find a T keeper that doesn't like that species.

But as we all know there are lot more of them. Are they all that good eaters? Do they require simmiliar humidity and temperature?

Here in Poland where I am from other than the classic geniculata are hard to get. For now I managed to get:

Acanthoscurria geniculata - little demon! -

Acanthoscurria musculosa - same sized as my A. geniculata will be very interesting to observe the growth and behaviour of those two. Really happy that I managed to hunt down this one.

I hope in this post we can talk about the Acanthoscurria and share some pictures and information.

What species do You have dear T keepers? Do You have any interesting observation? Please share.

Also sorry if my English ain't perfect it's not my primary language ;)

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I only have an A. Geniculata, my big female is a monster and the last thing a superworm wants to see before crunch time. I love the Acanthoscurria species. Amongst the 512 pictures I have on my phone, I have one where it is a close up of her slicing into a superworm. Like Euathlus Sp. I can go on about these all day so I'd better stop now.

Kenley

Arachnopeon
Oh don't stop :) - this post is all about the chat ;)

When I first started 8 years ago my first sling I ever owned was A. geniculata - instant love!

basin79

ArachnoGod
I only have an A. Geniculata, my big female is a monster and the last thing a superworm wants to see before crunch time. I love the Acanthoscurria species. Amongst the 512 pictures I have on my phone, I have one where it is a close up of her slicing into a superworm. Like Euathlus Sp. I can go on about these all day so I'd better stop now.
I'm not in no way dissing your monster female but the last thing a morio worm wants to see in a mantis with an inclination of starting from the arse end.

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
I recently purchased two tiny A. musculosa and one thing that stands out is that they are crazy burrowers. Mine are like L2 or 3 and they burrow down, across and back up their vials constantly. So funny to see them carrying lumps of soil to the surface, accidentally dropping them and hauling them back up. Little miners!

basin79

ArachnoGod
@ThisMeansWAR. Mantids kill just by eating their prey to death. So unless they feel their prey needs killing fast (in which case they chew the head off) they just start anywhere.

If they start at the arse end it's a very slow death.

Plus they don't give a damn.

boina

Lady of the mites
@ThisMeansWAR. Mantids kill just by eating their prey to death. So unless they feel their prey needs killing fast (in which case they chew the head off) they just start anywhere.

If they start at the arse end it's a very slow death.

Plus they don't give a damn.

and that's the reason why I don't own a mantis and don't want one, either :confused:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I got an A. geniculata as my second T nearly a year ago and she is easily one of my favourites, always out, eats like she's never been fed and they're just gorgeous.

View media item 38104
I also have an A. musculosa sling which was 1cm when I got it in January (the dealer had run out of N. carapoensis slings so picked this species to replace it as they were the same price) and is a little over an inch now, it likes to burrow and is insanely skittish but still eats like a horse.

17991901_1687466461266786_4942178960294877672_n.jpg

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I only have the geniculata of this species
I haven't seen others yet but when I do,,, they will be coming home.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a sub adult female Acanthoscurria ferina that I love and even though they are smaller than most other in this genus they still eat and behave like the others _20170406_165345.JPG _20170330_113502.JPG

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I recently got a 1/2 inch A. Geniculata, its just the cutest little thing also strangly enough it refused food for the first time. Hopefully its in premolt.

Attachments

Kenley

Arachnopeon
The one I always wanted to get is Acanthoscurria chacoana or Acanthoscurria antillensis but it's really hard to get anything more than the classic but I'm sure we all can agree no collection is full without a geniculata ;)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I have a little A. geniculata - my first of the genus and she quickly became one of my favorite Ts within days of having her. She's quick, smart (when I open her deli cup she runs to whatever side of the lid I'm opening) hilarious (her favorite thing to do is pile up her substrate into a mountain, up-end her water dish and drag it to the top, and then sit on top of the dish like the queen of the mountain) and she is a fantastic eater. I don't have many other Ts who take down prey with as much gusto as this little one. She only refuses food in premolt (which she is in right now!) and seems to just about double in size with each molt. I adore her.