Acanthoscurria geniculata

Shotgunn

Arachnopeon
Can any one help . I have a Acanthoscurria geniculata (Brazilian white knee) not that old . Maybe 4 malts .. I think its hibernating but not sure . I can see it in its burrow . Not in a death curl . His abdomen has shrunk substantially. Its getting warmer now and still no movement. Little worried if someone can give me advice would be fantastic..

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Is it dehydrated? Try putting a water dish in the enclosure and see if it drinks. Also may try offering it a prey item and judge its response.

Shotgunn

Arachnopeon
Is it dehydrated? Try putting a water dish in the enclosure and see if it drinks. Also may try offering it a prey item and judge its response.
Tried pray and no movement so i had to remove it . As for water iv put it in the enclosure but I cant get it by him as he is in a tunnel

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
If he is thirsty he should be able to find the water. Any chance you could post a photo? You say he's not very old...but is there any chance it could be a mature male? What's the legspan?

Shotgunn

Arachnopeon
About 2 inch leg span . Considering they grow to a 8 inch leg span i think .. then he would be young if I'm not mistaken. Do u advise me to move any surrounding from by him to take a picture as it will be hard to get the picture.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
No, it's best to just leave him alone and avoid stressing the spider out. For now, make sure there's water available and try leaving a pre-killed prey item near the front of its burrow. Watch it over the next few days and see if it eats/ drinks. I think that's all you can really do at the moment.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I see what you mean about the abdomen, but at least he's alive. Just offer prekilled prey and water, and see how it does. Maybe dribble a few small droplets of water nearby to give added incentive to drink. Other than that, just keep an eye on him. That's what I would do, anyway. Aside from having a small abdomen, it looks OK.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see the abdomen.. if male, not worried, if female concerned. Ts dont always use their water bowls. You have to add water dropper wise down there and see if it drinks rather quickly. If it does, you know it's dehydrated. Ts avoid water when they are hydrated.

cold blood

Staff member
enclosure looks huge for a 2" t....over size enclosures encourage excessive burrowing and hiding, it also significantly reduces predator-prey interactions.

A ts abdomen should never shrink unless it has molted or is severely dehydrated.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would drop a mostly-dead prey item down there. Either a cricket or mealworm with head crushed. Leave it overnight and see if it eats.