Acanthoscurria geniculata

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No collection would be complete without one of these magnificant species. They are extremely hardy (did anybody ever kill one? If so let us know how you did it), rarely ever refusing food items. They'll even eat on the day of their molt.
john

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hey John,

How big is she? Adult? I have a penultimate or prepenultimate male that should be ready in a few months.....

Scott

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice T John,

hows the "temper" of you geniculata? This is the only one of my T's that I suspect might nail me some day, the others will usually run and hide when I work in their cages. But my geniculata actually comes out of hiding, and it's still pretty small, around the 3" mark.

VI6SIX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had more than one genic try to nail me ,but then again I've seen a couple of realy mellow ones too

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
There are few spiders better than the geniculata in my opinion. It is large, but not too large like a t.blondi, it is not SUPER agressive, but agressive enough to keep you on your feet, and it always always eats and looks good too! I love mine.

Mark

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by VI6SIX
I've had more than one genic try to nail me ,but then again I've seen a couple of realy mellow ones too
Are you sure it was trying to tag you and not a feeding response? Mine will go after just about anything that moves...Tweezers, crickets, water, etc. I don't think it was purposely out to get you. Quite possible if it did touch you, it would back off knowing you're not food. Although I wouldn't suggest testing that.... :)

Scott

VI6SIX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm sure on a couple of occasions you're probaly right but I've had them try to get me when I was transfering them and packing them for shipment(can you blame them I'd hate to go for a long ride in a deli cup too)but I know the difference between a feeding response and when they rear back wiggle there fangs and then slap when they think they can get you but still definately in my top 20

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
John, do you sell tarantulas? If not you're a hell of a salesman :p

Bill

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I've been tagged by mine with the front feet, thinking my hand was a prey item...good thing it can distinguish between them!
Mine is the one I posted pics of a couple weeks ago that ate the mouse....it will eat ANYTHING ANYTIME.
When angry, it does a 'handstand' standing on the 2 front pairs of legs, with the abdomen and the other 2 pairs pointed up in the air!
It's always out in the open, and it's getting large, over 6" now. I am saying 'it' because it's the worst exuvia mangler I have, and how embarrassing, but I STILL don't know the gender

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, I once made the mistake of using my fingers to brush its back legs in order to get it to move. When I did that, it basically corkscrew flipped over and tried to nail me. Actually it could have, but it pulled back. Whew... I use tongs now.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Heh, I would not be using my fingers with these guys. One of my hands down top five favorite Ts, but they're pretty fearless once they get some size on them. Since I've even had a smithi strike at me for messing with the legs, I stick to using my paint brush for prodding anybody until I can guage their mood.

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Unfortunately, the first tarantula I ever lost was an A. geniculata. It died during a molt (leg got stuck and bled to death).
I soon got 2 to replace it (both males:( ), but have made the best of it. I sent my first mature male out to Darrin at Golden Phoenix Exotica, and am hoping for a successful breeding. My first male was 7" when mature and was a real sweetheart. I let him crawl on my arm for while before packaging him to be sent. He always did well with handling. Maybe he got use to me working in the tank and holding him? The second male has a more traditional attitude and I have to be more careful about handling/working in the tank. He is about 5" and from his size/molt record, I am guessing he has about 6 months (2 molts) to be mature.
At that time I'll be looking for a mate for him as well, so if you've got a mature female, keep him/me in mind.

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Me again! You know how true and I don't have a Giant Whiteknee yet but you are correct in saying that a collection isn't complete without one of them. I need to get my butt in gear and get one, don't I?!
P.S. She's a beauty too!!!!! You never cease to amaze me=D