Acanthoscurria geniculata.....wow

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
8EE69F4B-2D0C-4F03-9B04-C65D3698391F.jpeg
when they said A. geniculata was a fast grower I thought they meant you know sort of fast for a T. But wow I was wrong. This guy or gal isn’t even a year old yet and at 3 inches DLS is as big as my 2 year old B. hamorii female. And man they eat and eat. When I open the lid this spider is ready for whatever I drop in. Love watching it chase red runners around to catch them. Awesome species and bold for a T.

I need more red runners out at the moment. Dubia roaches play dead too much to enjoy watching the takedown.

And the white stuff isn’t mold. It my hard ass well water. It leaves a bit of precipitate behind when it dries. Mostly lime and calcium scale. Have to do a rehouse soon anyway, because next molt this little Kritter Keeper will be too small.

Last edited:

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
My female A. geniculata stopped growing at 4". Since one year no molt. My females B. hamorii and bohmei has had nearly outgrow her. Think she s little broken

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
My female A. geniculata stopped growing at 4". Since one year no molt. My females B. hamorii and bohmei has had nearly outgrow her. Think she s little broken
Aww the poor girl. She’ll catch up quick I bet. Not sure 100% mine’s sex but it looks female from the last molt. Was hard to tell for sure, because it shredded the abdomen to pieces.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My girl went from 3" to 4.5" in one moult. I had never experienced a tarantula who made such a huge jump in size in one moult. I have always put my Acanthoscurria and Lasiodora in enclosures larger than I would a slower growing species of the same size in order to limit the number of times that they are having to be rehoused. I found my Acanthoscurria geniculata was very nervous in the smaller enclosures and she relaxed visibly when she was given a bit of room to move around. My girl has just recently moulted and must be close to 7" at this point.
Everything in their enclosure is food - they're voracious. That is why a good set of 10" or 12" tongs is a must have for any keeper.

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
View attachment 331161
when they said A. geniculata was a fast grower I thought they meant you know sort of fast for a T. But wow I was wrong. This guy or gal isn’t even a year old yet and at 3 inches DLS is as big as my 2 year old B. hamorii female. And man they eat and eat. When I open the lid this spider is ready for whatever I drop in. Love watching it chase red runners around to catch them. Awesome species and bold for a T.

I need more red runners out at the moment. Dubia roaches play dead too much to enjoy watching the takedown.

And the white stuff isn’t mold. It my hard ass well water. It leaves a bit of precipitate behind when it dries. Mostly lime and calcium scale. Have to do a rehouse soon anyway, because next molt this little Kritter Keeper will be too small.
Mine was seriously timid until it hit about 3 inches, I had to prekill all of his/her food as it would run laps around the enclosure to get away from a mealworm that wiggled, they are all different.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
View attachment 331161

I've got a group of them coming in soon.

So thank you very much for this post, Music to My Ears. ...err' Eyes.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
when they said A. geniculata was a fast grower I thought they meant you know sort of fast for a T. But wow I was wrong.
Yeah I was in the same boat when I got mine. Picked her up as a 1/2" sling two and a half years ago and she is pushing 6" now easily and is looking like another molt should be coming up. She is one of my fastest growing and seems to literally double in size with each molt. She makes my Lasiodora spp. look like slowpokes and seems to even grow faster than my Pamphos and Phormics. Such an amazing T, I recommend these guys to everyone. It's both a blessing and a curse that they have so many babies because I'd love to have a hand at breeding them but also don't really want to deal with over 1000 slings :grumpy:

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
Oh man, I can definitely relate. I'm currently going through this cycle with my Pamphobeteus sp. Machala where I rehouse it, thinking myself rather clever for moving it into a way bigger enclosure that will suit it for the next couple molts... and then it immediately molts and doubles in size. I'm not complaining but at this rate it's going to need its own apartment by next year.

Last edited: