Acanthoscurria geniculata pre-molt?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It looks to be in pre molt...but it also looks like a Nhandu chromatus instead of an A.geniculata.

Last edited:

Paiige

Arachnobaron
How long have you had this guy? It does look like N. chromatus to me as well (and I agree with @KezyGLA possibly MM) ...though my A. genic doesn't have the darkest carapace but she's also very young and hasn't fully come into adult coloration yet.
He looks very skinny...how long since he's eaten and what has his behavior been like? Can you send us a picture of his pedipalps?

George92

Arachnopeon
I checked up some photos and you're totally right.. well no worries i got it for free from my friend when he bought a terrarium ^^
Is it the small abdomen however that tells it's a mature male?
Correct me if im wrong :) The abdomen shrinks when the male reaches maturity right?

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Yeah looks like a MM to me. They're generally great eaters and don't refuse food unless they're in premolt, and he looks quite skinny to be premolt. I'd say enjoy the time you have left with him and be happy you didn't pay full price for an adult female.
You can generally tell if it's a MM because there will be bulbs at the ends of his pedipalps and he will have "hooked out," meaning he has tibial hooks on his front legs. I don't see hooks but he's not really at the right angle for it.

George92

Arachnopeon
Yeah looks like a MM to me. They're generally great eaters and don't refuse food unless they're in premolt, and he looks quite skinny to be premolt. I'd say enjoy the time you have left with him and be happy you didn't pay full price for an adult female.
You can generally tell if it's a MM because there will be bulbs at the ends of his pedipalps and he will have "hooked out," meaning he has tibial hooks on his front legs. I don't see hooks but he's not really at the right angle for it.
Hmm.. I actually read that in a thread here some time ago but I assumed it just didn't want to eat.
Yeah and perhaps find a mate for him so he can atleast complete his life task ^^
And regarding the tribial hooks on the front legs, iv'e seen them before.
I think it's funny how I came to get answers about the molting A.Geniculata which turned out to be a MM N. Chromatus and on top of that learned how to distinguish a MM. This is a good example why I love this forum ^^ thanks!