Acanthoscurria geniculata movement disorder

x-fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well this is my Acanthoscurria geniculata and ... it's not moving as it was moving before the molt. Anyone with ideas what could it be? And how i can cure this? 10 days after I first noticed that kind of movement she is a little bit better, but still moving like this :-(( She's eating well but ... i'm not sure what to do with it?
Here is a link with a crappy movie i've made last night, sorry for the poor quality , but i'll make a new one tonight, turning off macro on the camera.
http://www.spiderlog.info/attachments/DSCF0051.AVI
Well that's all from me, i hope it's something that will fade away in couple of molts but ... damn, i have no luck at all. I'm near 99% it's a female, but spermatecae was so small ...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I believe I saw this before by another member on the boards. I can't recall what it was at the top of my head though.. I'll try and locate it for you.

x-fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
10x, i saw it too, it was a Grammostola rosea, but it was hanging it's feet in the air. Mine is just moving like it's scared to death, fast and harshly, still managing to grab it's pray and eat it. And yestaerday, after i made this clip i saw her moving her legs slower that ever since the molt.
Is it possible to be some kind of poisoning that's fading away? I can see she's a little bit better now and i think she's getting better with every day, but that could be just me willing so strong to see her normal again :-(

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Dyskinetic syndrome... Basically is involuntary movement of the limbs and loss of control of the nervous system...

I had a spiderling of Avicularia minatrix with this... It died 3 days later :( People normally call this a freezer job as its better for the T. Apparently it can be caused by eating a dodgy cricket but no1 really knows...

Such a shame :(

x-fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well it's like that for more than two weeks now and it's eating okay for now. The strange thing was that it was totally normal until it molted. And it was started to act like that before i can even try and feed it. Could it be possible that it ate something bad before the molt and to get sick after it?
I'm still thinking of a poisoning rather than neuralgic (is this the right word?) problem. My girlfriend is using this cleaning spray. Could it be possible small amount of the substance to get in to the water and poison the tarantula? Geniculata's terrarium is between mine and her's desk. She's cleaning her's twice a week and i'm cleaning mine twice a decade? :p
I've wanted this T so badly and there is 99% chance to be a female and now ... this....
If it's some kind of a poisoning is there something i can do about it? I know our vets sucks as it comes to tarantulas so i'm asking you:)
As for the freezer ... it's not an option, not untill she stop eating and her abdomen starts to shrink. 'till then it's my baby and there is no chance she's getting even close to that infernal machine :)

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You shouldn't spray any kind of chemical/spray/deodorant near T's anyway as they are sensitive to them.

Don't blame you about the freezer though. My minatrix started to pick up then she died :(

Keep us updated on how she is. Hope she makes it

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well it's like that for more than two weeks now and it's eating okay for now. The strange thing was that it was totally normal until it molted. And it was started to act like that before i can even try and feed it. Could it be possible that it ate something bad before the molt and to get sick after it?
I'm still thinking of a poisoning rather than neuralgic (is this the right word?) problem. My girlfriend is using this cleaning spray. Could it be possible small amount of the substance to get in to the water and poison the tarantula? Geniculata's terrarium is between mine and her's desk. She's cleaning her's twice a week and i'm cleaning mine twice a decade? :p
I've wanted this T so badly and there is 99% chance to be a female and now ... this....
If it's some kind of a poisoning is there something i can do about it? I know our vets sucks as it comes to tarantulas so i'm asking you:)
As for the freezer ... it's not an option, not untill she stop eating and her abdomen starts to shrink. 'till then it's my baby and there is no chance she's getting even close to that infernal machine :)
You shouldn't spray any kind of chemical/spray/deodorant near T's anyway as they are sensitive to them.

Don't blame you about the freezer though. My minatrix started to pick up then she died :(

Keep us updated on how she is. Hope she makes it
You know what? There is no evidence that tarantulas are sensitive to chemicals in the slightest. Their biochemistry is remarkably similar to most of the cockroaches in the world living in toxic waste dumps. What might give the illusion of sensitivity is their size. They're small, so a little of something will kill them quickly.

They ARE sensitive to pesticides. That's because pesticides are designed to kill spiders.

They also don't feel pain like you do. There is no need to freeze them until all possible doubt has gone.

Furthermore dyskinetic syndrome is not a diagnosis. It's a syndrome - it tells you what is happening, without giving you a cause.

TLC is the only treatment with any tarantula problem, so I'd run with that.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
But they sure don't help the T, either. OP, I'd move the tarantula to another room.
Unless it's got an infection. Penicillin might help then. Or dehydration - water might be in order.

Unless we know what is present, we don't know what the heck is going on. Speculation is not going to help.

It MIGHT be poisoning. Look for any obvious sources of potential contamination, and move them away. Also, change the crickets over completely, and buy a new set from a different store. Change to bottled water if you really want (although this is only tap water in a bottle).
My bet is that nothing will improve at all. Something neurological is happening, and it may have occured from the last moult. I'm getting a little idea about diskinetic syndrome, and I'm going to dig a little on it.

x-fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
whatever it was i think she's geting better. I'm watching her right now and she's walking much more smooth. She's still kind of a harshly but ... now she's not moving her legs so fast up and down. And right now she's climbing on the glass. Tomorrow i'm going for some yammy crickets, so i can test her will she grab them as she did before. I really think she's getting better but only time will tell.
The strange thing is that her terrarium is covered with smaller boxes of my smaller T's and they don't show any type of strange behavior. I've tried to put them all around my monitor, so i can keep an eye on them all the time and to catch every single move they make :) Do you think that typing on the keybord (i'm doing it kind of a fast) can stress her (terrarium is right on the desk and the keybord is 10 sm away from it)? Or the other that are on top of her terrarium?
Thanks to all of you for your help and i hope she'll be compleatly okay in couple of weeks.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
whatever it was i think she's geting better. I'm watching her right now and she's walking much more smooth. She's still kind of a harshly but ... now she's not moving her legs so fast up and down. And right now she's climbing on the glass. Tomorrow i'm going for some yammy crickets, so i can test her will she grab them as she did before. I really think she's getting better but only time will tell.
The strange thing is that her terrarium is covered with smaller boxes of my smaller T's and they don't show any type of strange behavior. I've tried to put them all around my monitor, so i can keep an eye on them all the time and to catch every single move they make :) Do you think that typing on the keybord (i'm doing it kind of a fast) can stress her (terrarium is right on the desk and the keybord is 10 sm away from it)? Or the other that are on top of her terrarium?
Thanks to all of you for your help and i hope she'll be compleatly okay in couple of weeks.

I'm glad she's getting better. I doubt that your typing (unless it's with a hammer) is really bothering her. Also, it's unlikely that other tarantulas are bothering her as well.

I suggest you just keep an eye, and let her be. Seems it's getting better (although some suggest that this is the calm before the fatal storm, read above).

x-fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, what i meant for other tarantulas is that they are at the same place where the geniculata is, so if there is something "in the air" that causes the problem they should get sick too, shouldn't they? And so far they are doing well. And there are some rally small, like my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens , it's just molted once and it's the cutiest thing i've ever seen :))))