Acanthoscurria Geniculata (Brazilian White Knee) Maturing Age

Mariah Arnold

Arachnopeon
I'm new to the hobby and curious about the tarantula I bought, an acanthoscurria geniculata (brazilian white knee). When purchase, it was around 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch and has since molted 3 times to I'd say around 3/4 of an inch. I was wondering if anyone would know the general time or amount of molts until this certain species is matured or just full grown.

boina

Lady of the mites
Time until adulthood depends on a lot of factors:

1. Sex. Males mature earlier than females.
2. Temperature: The warmer it is kept the faster it will mature.
3. Individual differences: Even spiders from the same eggsac mature at different rates.
4. Feeding schedule: Some people maintain that feeding more leads to faster growth. The evidence for that is not conclusive, though, to say the least.

Anyway, in general this is a fast growing species. Males should be mature around 18 months to 2 years. Females will usually take a year longer, usually being the key word here - your spider may be different. I don't know how many molts this species needs exactly, but most species take about 10 molts plus/minus a couple to mature.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
For females, once they are about 3/4 of their adult size, they are sexually mature.

If the sling is raise under warmer conditions, it will reach that size sooner.

If the sling is raised under cooler conditions, it will reach that size later.

Mariah Arnold

Arachnopeon
Time until adulthood depends on a lot of factors:

1. Sex. Males mature earlier than females.
2. Temperature: The warmer it is kept the faster it will mature.
3. Individual differences: Even spiders from the same eggsac mature at different rates.
4. Feeding schedule: Some people maintain that feeding more leads to faster growth. The evidence for that is not conclusive, though, to say the least.

Anyway, in general this is a fast growing species. Males should be mature around 18 months to 2 years. Females will usually take a year longer, usually being the key word here - your spider may be different. I don't know how many molts this species needs exactly, but most species take about 10 molts plus/minus a couple to mature.
Thank you so much, I figured it would take a bit but this has been super helpful!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I had a 3/4 inch geniculata sling that I received on 05-06-2015 have its first moult under my care on 05-28-2015. It moulted out to a mature male on 02-03-2018, its eighth and final moult since it arrived.

Attachments