Acanthoscurria Brocklehursti: sex?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks female to me. Congrats. :clap:

EDIT: There is a flap where I circled and that is an indication of a female.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Great pic, I never seem to catch mine soon enough and they get shredded! I'd agree that it is female.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I thought the area where the flap would be is immediately to the left of the area you circled...I am no expert of course I am just trying to get better at this...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The picture is a bit deceiving only cause the white interior of the left upper book lung looks to have sloughed off, so your point of reference on where to look is a bit off. That's the hardest part about sexing photo's online. The angles and wrinkles, lighting or lack there of, flash glare, all of those things can make it really hard to sex. In person is the easiest.

SavageDigital

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks female to me. Congrats. :clap:

EDIT: There is a flap where I circled and that is an indication of a female.
I think you're off a little bit with the circle...

...how large is this spider? From these images, I can't make a determination on gender (personally).

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya maybe I am, But I circled where the other book lung should be you can see a piece of it in the lower corner of the blue circle, and there is a fold in the skin as well. Hmm pictures playing tricks on me..............:eek:

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Neoscales is spot on, the other booklung is folded under. While I can't tell from this pic if there is spermathecae or not, I would guess male. There looks to be an area of different texture on the epignum that coincides with where the epiandrous fusillae ('patch') would be, protruding from the other side of course. Like reverse ventral sexing. I would bet that if you got a clear shot of it you'd see a dense area of very small pores there.

This is what I'm refering to, even though it's an N. chromatus. You can see the dense area of setaetion even from this side. Ignore the two little protuberances, this is a mature male.

This is what your looking for on a female A. brocklehursti (~5")

Bill

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
K, I don't know if my eyes or playing tricks on me or not, but can you get a closer picture of the area circled. Thanks.

SavageDigital

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
K, I don't know if my eyes or playing tricks on me or not, but can you get a closer picture of the area circled. Thanks.
I hear ya, but I don't think it'll change your mind. Here's a couple views of my A. brocklehursti molt to add to the pool...

chaseewfahn

Arachnopeon
well...

turns out that this guy is a male he just molted about a week ago and he's got the punching glove palps. This guy looks like he almost doubled in size. He went from half the size of my hand to being the same size as my hand (didn't expect that much growth)! Quick question though, roughly what is the life span post ultimate molt?

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
turns out that this guy is a male he just molted about a week ago and he's got the punching glove palps. This guy looks like he almost doubled in size. He went from half the size of my hand to being the same size as my hand (didn't expect that much growth)! Quick question though, roughly what is the life span post ultimate molt?
you should post him in the classifieds for breeding loan or sale or trade so he can serve his only function in life, and he is on borrowed time now sorry to say