Acanthophrynus habitat

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
I'm curious if there's any research papers regarding Acanthophrynus coronatus and their habitat. Would they prefer an arid, humid or temperate climate? And are they found in caves or trees or just under rocks. I couldn't find anything about them.

-JohnD.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
I think I found the answer by comparing two maps of Mexico. The top map I screenshotted off inaturalist.org and the bottom is a Google search of Mexicos climate. The reports are mainly along the tropical forest range which tells me that is their preferred climate.
20210410_184206.jpg

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
No, pretty sure Amblypygi universally live in humid microhabitats.
This. Without sufficient moisture they will have trouble moulting and eating prey, and can simply die by dessication. They will choose moist, sheltered spaces within whatever environment they are in.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
To add on to @Albireo Wulfbooper , I've heard of lots of issues with whipspiders having insufficient humidity, including species from arid areas. I've never heard of an amblypygid suffering from too much moisture, and Paraphrynus mexicanus (new Latin name now that I forget for the American species, but formerly) can be kept basically the same as any other species despite being native to the Sonoran desert.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
For the record, I keep my Acanthophrynus coronatus the same way I keep my Damon diadema, Phrynus barbadensis, and Phrynus whitei - moist substrate, room temperature (I never let them get below 20ºC but it can range from 20ºC to 32ºC thanks to my lack of AC), a small screened ventilation hole, and a tall vertical material (cork, styrofoam, etc) to climb and moult on. That's it. All four species are happy and healthy with exactly the same conditions, even though they're from quite different environments, because they all seek the same type of microenvironment.

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
its been rumored one was discovered in southern arizona, only a single picture is available on bugguide

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm curious if there's any research papers regarding Acanthophrynus coronatus and their habitat. Would they prefer an arid, humid or temperate climate? And are they found in caves or trees or just under rocks. I couldn't find anything about them.

-JohnD.
soon a paper dealing with this aspects will be out. All questions will be anserwed with it.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
here it is, still not available, but soon...
Schramm, F.D., Valdez-Mondragón, A., Prendini, L. (2021). Volcanism and paleoclimate change drive diversification of world’s largest whip spider (Amblypygi). Molecular Ecology. doi.org/10.1111/mec.15924