Absolutely gutted.

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
My psalmopoeus cambridgei has passed on. I believe it is my fault, as the enclosure was pretty dry. Here in NM the temperatures spiked and I believe the enclosure dried out and the little one must have perished. I feel pretty bad about it, but I suppose this is just lessons learned for a still relatively new keeper. Bummed, but life goes on. In other news, my Sazimai and albiceps have molted, and everyone seems to be happy and healthy.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Oof, sorry for your loss. Lessons learned the hard way are rough, but often have a way of changing us for the better. The fact that you can be honest about it is commendable and can be a teaching moment for others too.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Good lesson in always being observant. Important thing is to note that accidents do happen, even if you are experienced. I almost suffocated one of my p.cams the other day. My ball python is on the bottom rung of one of my shelves. After a feeding, I set my p.cams enclosure right above where the python is. Came back in the room and realized what I had just done. The heat coming up from the underside started to create a ton of condensation and humidity to build inside its enclosure. Thankfully I recognized what I did and opened up its enclosure to air it out more. That mistake surely would have killed him. Learn from mistakes. Try to be more observant in the future.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Sorry for your loss!! Reminds me today is watering day. You will grow from this as a keeper

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Sucks. Sorry to hear it. I just lost one of mine yesterday. The best we can do as keepers is to learn from it, pick ourselves up, and try again once we feel more confident in our husbandry.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Do you think you’ll try again? Psalmopoeus are pretty hardy from my experience and if you think it was too dry at least you know and shouldn’t have issues in the future. Hope you try again.

I’ve had terrible luck with bottle caps as a water dish, I guess we drink too much cheap bottled water and the caps always end up leaking. And of course the sling enclosures are too small for anything larger. I end up dropping water on the bark every day. If I ever get a small sling again it will def go into an enclosure that can fit a .5 oz deli cup. Water evaporates quickly here.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss. A small sling ? Yeah, they are more prone desiccation, which sucks. Try again, and hopefully the next one will make it to adulthood and live a long, healthy life in your care.

SixWitcher

Arachnopeon
I'm a new keeper with 8 different species of T's in my care and I dread the day any of them die and pretty much all of them are still slings.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I'm a new keeper with 8 different species of T's in my care and I dread the day any of them die and pretty much all of them are still slings.
Learn from others mistakes and you’re good to go. I can honestly say I’ve never killed a T by accident. Had some close calls. But being observant is key.

SixWitcher

Arachnopeon
Learn from others mistakes and you’re good to go. I can honestly say I’ve never killed a T by accident. Had some close calls. But being observant is key.
I've been keeping up with my care really well and I have learned a lot so I am certainly confident but the horror stories I read about T's suddenly dying without cause keeps me up at night lmao

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
Do you think you’ll try again? Psalmopoeus are pretty hardy from my experience and if you think it was too dry at least you know and shouldn’t have issues in the future. Hope you try again.

I’ve had terrible luck with bottle caps as a water dish, I guess we drink too much cheap bottled water and the caps always end up leaking. And of course the sling enclosures are too small for anything larger. I end up dropping water on the bark every day. If I ever get a small sling again it will def go into an enclosure that can fit a .5 oz deli cup. Water evaporates quickly here.
Of course, I have a psalmopoeus pulcher that is growing rapidly and seems content in my care. This one was still a relatively small one. I would definitely love an AF cambridgei though, one of my favortie looking tarantulas, and the two individuals I have/had from the genus are definitely amongst the favorite of my lot.