< Absolute noob. Sling's first feeding.

Vman87

Arachnopeon
Hi folks, just got my first T the other day and I'm super excited! Also glad to be part of the forum. So I got myself a G. Pulchripes, between 1" and 1.5" legspan. I set him/her up in the new home, a very small plastic terrarium with about 4" coir and a tiny half-log for hide. After a day to get acclimated, I decided to feed the little dude/dudette. The spider was in the back of the hide, semi-burrowed in the substrate, and I dropped two tiny crickets in. When I tweezed them I made sure to grab by one of their big legs and disable it so they wouldn't be hopping all over the place. They both wandered into the hide where my new friend was waiting and they were both quickly dispatched. This made me very happy. How exciting! Anyway the spider seems to have pulled both future bolus' down into the mini burrow. Now motionless, I guess he/she is eating them.

My question is: does the spider just leave the bolus wherever he is at when he finishes eating? Do they sometimes drag them out to like a dumping area of sorts to keep it out of their burrow? Will I have to pull the mini log up in order to the get them out? Is this all normal?

Sorry for the total noobage. I did a scan of the message boards to find some info before posting. Thanks friends! 20161016_190400.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It will drag the bolus... somewhere. Tarantulas usually choose a far corner to stick them in, but some individuals don't care and drop them where they please. Another common occurrence is to have them discard it in the water dish. Regardless of the size or humidity level, I'd never destroy a burrow just to retrieve a bolus unless I can see that it is actively molding and becoming a problem. In short, do nothing! You're golden, mate.

Could you post a picture of the whole setup? May as well get critiques while we're here :)

Vman87

Arachnopeon
Great! Color me worried-noob-owner lol. Thanks for the insight! Here are a few pics of the setup.

Vman87

Arachnopeon
It will drag the bolus... somewhere. Tarantulas usually choose a far corner to stick them in, but some individuals don't care and drop them where they please. Another common occurrence is to have them discard it in the water dish. Regardless of the size or humidity level, I'd never destroy a burrow just to retrieve a bolus unless I can see that it is actively molding and becoming a problem. In short, do nothing! You're golden, mate.

Could you post a picture of the whole setup? May as well get critiques while we're here :)
Great! Color me worried newbie lol. Thanks for the insight! Here are a few pics of the setup and my baby. He's deep within his log

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You, sir, need a water dish. A cap off of a water bottle will work just fine.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, so I'll just explain. Just like a cat, a tarantula can squeeze through any opening that it can fit its head through. Is that the case with that KK? It looks to be quite a bit larger than only a 1" legspan. Here is a 1" with enclosure. Note that tarantulas don't need very much space at all to be comfortable. Also note the lack of height - while not common in slings, a bad fall can result in injury or death. These creatures weren't designed to take a fall very well.

IMG_1336.JPG

Vman87

Arachnopeon
You, sir, need a water dish. A cap off of a water bottle will work just fine.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, so I'll just explain. Just like a cat, a tarantula can squeeze through any opening that it can fit its head through. Is that the case with that KK? It looks to be quite a bit larger than only a 1" legspan. Here is a 1" with enclosure. Note that tarantulas don't need very much space at all to be comfortable. Also note the lack of height - while not common in slings, a bad fall can result in injury or death. These creatures weren't designed to take a fall very well.

View attachment 222773
I see what you're saying. The spider is definitely less than 2", I'd call it 1.5". Ok so I'll definitely add a water dish. Originally I was going to go with the dampening of the substrate every feeding until it gets a little bigger. But the water dish I will do. I do have a whole bag of substrate, perhaps I should pour a couple more inches in...now about the squeezing through holes the size of his head. Do you think the slots at the top of this container are too big for the spider's size? Thanks so much for your advice my friend.

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I see what you're saying. The spider is definitely less than 2", I'd call it 1.5". Ok so I'll definitely add a water dish. Originally I was going to go with the dampening of the substrate every feeding until it gets a little bigger. But the water dish I will do. I do have a whole bag of substrate, perhaps I should pour a couple more inches in...now about the squeezing through holes the size of his head. Do you think the slots at the top of this container are too big for the spider's size? Thanks so much for your advice my friend.
Well, you'll notice that I don't have a water dish. So they don't need them, but then you'll have to either feed quite a bit (which you should be doing anyway) or keep misting so they can drink the droplets. My enclosure is just too small to accommodate a water dish.

Gun to my head, I'd say that enclosure isn't great. Slings are very adaptable, I'd suggest a rehouse based purely on the worry that it may escape. That enclosure will work just fine in a few molts, but what you've got is like putting a kitten in a lion's exhibit. At that size, the majority of us use deli cups. Rather than buying a sleeve of them, just go to Walmart or something and buy some potato salad at the deli. That is, unless you plan on developing a crippling tarantula addiction the most of us. In that case, buy a sleeve and some shelves.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
ive raised spiders from 1" in KKs, i wouldnt worry. the amount of sub looks fine, add a water dish and youre good.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Love your post op, u remind me of me when I first joined. So excited to do it right and learn everything I can.

Gorgeous sling, my friend.

Your sling will likely have a corner or special area it will drag the bolus too. Either that or it just drops them whenever and where ever it finishes eating. You will have to move your log if the t drags its bolus in there, but I doubt it will.

Welcome yo the hobby. I'm feeling the newb groove tonight!:troll:

Vman87

Arachnopeon
Well, you'll notice that I don't have a water dish. So they don't need them, but then you'll have to either feed quite a bit (which you should be doing anyway) or keep misting so they can drink the droplets. My enclosure is just too small to accommodate a water dish.

Gun to my head, I'd say that enclosure isn't great. Slings are very adaptable, I'd suggest a rehouse based purely on the worry that it may escape. That enclosure will work just fine in a few molts, but what you've got is like putting a kitten in a lion's exhibit. At that size, the majority of us use deli cups. Rather than buying a sleeve of them, just go to Walmart or something and buy some potato salad at the deli. That is, unless you plan on developing a crippling tarantula addiction the most of us. In that case, buy a sleeve and some shelves.
Thank you for your advice!

Vman87

Arachnopeon
Love your post op, u remind me of me when I first joined. So excited to do it right and learn everything I can.

Gorgeous sling, my friend.

Your sling will likely have a corner or special area it will drag the bolus too. Either that or it just drops them whenever and where ever it finishes eating. You will have to move your log if the t drags its bolus in there, but I doubt it will.

Welcome yo the hobby. I'm feeling the newb groove tonight!:troll:
Thanks for the info and the encouragement! I am very excited and like everyone else I just want to be sure I raise a happy and healthy T. I think it left the bolus under the log but I can barely tell due to the contrast with the dark substrate. I'll wait until it comes out of the log to check.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ts are very clean animals, esp NW terrestrial Ts. All of mine have always picked a corner for their garbage dump. They don't want rotting food to attract ants in their home any more than humans. Do your T and yourself a favor. Clean up the boli BEFORE it attracts mites and anything else.