User AbraxasComplex's Invert and Vivarium Picture Thread

harmroelf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it looks all very nice abracadabra, but where is the ventilation?

Dustan

Arachnopeon
The new Incei look great. The ones I got from you at the show are doing awesome, and I look forward to eventually picking up some "golds".

Dustan

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
are you kinda lost??

wrong person.....{D

great stuff AbraxasComplex neat vases...i like those new Incei also

moose

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think excessive ventilation is a common misconception with fully planted vivariums for tarantulas. Tarantulas spend the majority of their lives in a stagnant burrow or enclosed web that allows for little air flow and ventilation. In all the vivariums the plants produce oxygen when they photosynthesise and thus scrub the air clean. Mold is kept at bay due to acidic properties of the soil and the addition of many species of detritivores including isopods, snails, and worms. So the combination of natural behavior and the natural ecological cycle the tarantulas do quite well. Plus if someone is truly worried, gas exchange does happen at the lids since each lid is not completely sealed. Also when they are opened for feeding purposes some gas exchange occurs.

In all my vases I have had breeding success for my dwarf species. I also have tanks with multiple generations living within. Never have I had a colony crash or found inexplicable deaths from the species within.

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those lamps are a stroke of genious. I can now salt some tarantulas around the house without anybody being the wiser! Until somebody tries to turn a light on, anyway...

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey AbraxasComplex,did you us any light source while you were taking your balfouri's picture? or it is just sun light ?

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some people tell that, color of the balfouri is not so bright as we see in the photos,that's why l asked that question.
It does depend on what light reflects off their hairs. I find that if I do not have bright full spectrum lighting (from the sun or a fluorescent lamp) her legs appear nearly black. Only in the proper light is she the navy blue.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So my Holothele sp. Columbia (The Bumble Bee) juveniles came in today. The pics do not do them justice. They truly do make the Holothele incei look like they've been dusted with dirt.

And a Heterothele villosella in my communal tank carrying an eggsac.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry about the bad quality of the photo, but this is the best my camera could get of such tiny slings with out destroying the web. These are Heterothele gabonensis.