About to go pick up a puppy from a local breeder

basin79

ArachnoGod
I certainly will, he is from show lines. I am going to train him for agility and maybe conformation, haven't decided on that yet, contemplating rather or not to put him up for stud.
Just enjoy him as a pup for now as they grow up so fast.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Just enjoy him as a pup for now as they grow up so fast.
Sure will and already am.

ROMEO DAY 3 (BEGINNING OF SECOND FULL DAY):

he had a bit of an accident around 2 this morning, and I took him out again at 4, although he decided he wanted to play instead.

He woke up again around 6 to eat, play and just went to his crate for a nap.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Update:

Woke up to find his ears are finally standing up.

Picture to come when I catch him in good position.

Corgi weirdness part 1:

20190729_083227.jpg

Last edited:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
More weirdness anyone?

20190729_121245.jpg

He is so weird when getting ready to nap. When he is running around there is no chance of getting a picture.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Bought him one of those playpens today as well as a harness.

Human socialization is going well.

He hates brooms and bare feet.

He thinks squeaky toys are for barking at, while using his bed as a fort.

He has become quite stubborn as well. Currently working with him on that. Clicker training is going well. I'll be glad when he is past 16 weeks, that way I can walk him.

He let me sleep 4 more hours!!!!! :)

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
Puppies are such a handful, I got a mini-Golden Doodle puppy last year and she quickly reminded me of that. I don't know how we survived the first year. We then adopted a Sheltie-Chihuahua-something-else mix that was a year old hoping it would help with the Golden's energy level, rough housing and such, wear each other out? Not a chance. They LOVE playing with each other but they don't wear out, I swear they wind each other up even more. It's a crazy house, I love it.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
After a full week with Romeo, he has officially became the definition of stubborn. He knows his name, just doesn't come when called. Just now he tried running from me (he though I was playing with him when I was not), he does not like being told NO, as he will continue doing what he wants regardless.

Ok, enough about the negative, as I'm working on sorting those out, let's focus on the positive. He is quite playful, had his first accidents today, though they were on the pee pads which was really good. He is getting better at going outside (coming in is another story on cool evenings and at 2 AM), he is already displaying good guard dog skills. Best of all, he is really becoming a really loveable and affectionate little dog.

It will take time, but I am more stubborn than any dog is.

basin79

ArachnoGod
After a full week with Romeo, he has officially became the definition of stubborn. He knows his name, just doesn't come when called. Just now he tried running from me (he though I was playing with him when I was not), he does not like being told NO, as he will continue doing what he wants regardless.

Ok, enough about the negative, as I'm working on sorting those out, let's focus on the positive. He is quite playful, had his first accidents today, though they were on the pee pads which was really good. He is getting better at going outside (coming in is another story on cool evenings and at 2 AM), he is already displaying good guard dog skills. Best of all, he is really becoming a really loveable and affectionate little dog.

It will take time, but I am more stubborn than any dog is.
You've got to remember Romeo is only a young PUPPY. You need to lower your expectations with regards to him being trained in the blink of an eye.

Just mix him some gentle fun training and him playing.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
You've got to remember Romeo is only a young PUPPY. You need to lower your expectations with regards to him being trained in the blink of an eye.

Just mix him some gentle fun training and him playing.
Very true, I have adjusted accordingly.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Had an amazing experience in socializing Romeo today. I was taking him out to do his business, and my neighbor was outside with her family that was visiting and they had three children. Wasn't too sure how he was going to react. I figured he was going to act like well...a puppy, and he did play like a puppy, but what surprised me was how gentle he was with the three children, no scratching and play biting like he does to me. Naturally he got a treat when I brought him back in the house.

I'm proud of this little puppy

20190802_123908.jpg

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
One more set of shots to go, including rabies. Romeo was a brave little puppy today. Three weeks from now, he will be clear for normal dog things.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
He is darling! Congratulations!

I certainly will, he is from show lines. I am going to train him for agility and maybe conformation, haven't decided on that yet, contemplating rather or not to put him up for stud.
So, as a dog trainer/handler, I see some red flags here that I am too nosy not to inquire further about LOL

1. "From show lines" - A lot of times when someone says this, what they really mean is somewhere in the pedigree, a dog showed once or twice and probably didn't even win. Is the puppy registered with a reputable kennel club like AKC or UKC? You can very easily check to see what titles have been earned by the dogs behind him on his pedigree.
2. Agility is a BLAST! But start NOW on foundation work with a dog like a Corgi! As soon as he is fully vaccinated, find an intro to agility basics class in your area... you won't regret it!
3. Talk of using this dog for stud is WAY PREMATURE. Sure, he is a cute puppy. But being cute does not equal worthy of being bred. If he turns out to be awesome by titling in multiple sports AND passing his OFA/CERFs after 24 months of age, THEN you can start to considee whether you'd like a puppy out of him.

Really well, he is a perfect little dog. I am very surprised he is picking up clicker training already.
Puppies take to clicker training in NO TIME! There is something about the clicker they cannot resist, and if you "charge" the clicker appropriately first, the association of clicker = reward is almost instantaneous. Just make sure your timing is EXACT with the clicker... Dogs are very "in the moment" and clicking one second too early or too late can cause you trouble.

Me and my hoarde of APBTs thank you for not getting a bull breed :)

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
He is darling! Congratulations!

So, as a dog trainer/handler, I see some red flags here that I am too nosy not to inquire further about LOL

1. "From show lines" - A lot of times when someone says this, what they really mean is somewhere in the pedigree, a dog showed once or twice and probably didn't even win. Is the puppy registered with a reputable kennel club like AKC or UKC? You can very easily check to see what titles have been earned by the dogs behind him on his pedigree.
2. Agility is a BLAST! But start NOW on foundation work with a dog like a Corgi! As soon as he is fully vaccinated, find an intro to agility basics class in your area... you won't regret it!
3. Talk of using this dog for stud is WAY PREMATURE. Sure, he is a cute puppy. But being cute does not equal worthy of being bred. If he turns out to be awesome by titling in multiple sports AND passing his OFA/CERFs after 24 months of age, THEN you can start to considee whether you'd like a puppy out of him.

Puppies take to clicker training in NO TIME! There is something about the clicker they cannot resist, and if you "charge" the clicker appropriately first, the association of clicker = reward is almost instantaneous. Just make sure your timing is EXACT with the clicker... Dogs are very "in the moment" and clicking one second too early or too late can cause you trouble.

Me and my hoarde of APBTs thank you for not getting a bull breed :)
I decided to get him snipped. As for lines, I did research on day one via AKC. Agility is still on the horizon. classes start later this month (after his final puppy vaccines

He's come a long way in basic training. Only 2-3 accidents and that's it. Clicker training is going good. Right now I'm working on his bolting habit. He knows basic commands.

Romeo is just an all around perfect little dog, that has more than filled the void left by Buddy (my Shih Tzu that died in October of last year of old age and heart disease).