about old world

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am ready to branch out in to the wonderful place of old world Ts. After keeping 5 new worlds I am ready to begin on looking for the old worlds. Some of yall out there give me some suggestions on which ones would be the best to start with.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Give us more suggestions with what you like, treespiders? ground dwellers? What's your pleasure?

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I like both, new world A. versicolor appeal to me because of their color. I love my B. smithi to death as a ground dweller and he tends to be more of a pet rock. I like rather large ground dwellers. I know that old worlds have a bit more of a temper so I might like a slow moving ground dweller to start with to make it easier on my cleaning jobs.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
There are generalizations here.

OW are meaner, faster.

but NW T's like a P. irminia are quite fast as well.

My advice is to get an OBT sling.

they are really cool looking T's ( orange )
they make really cool web tunnels ( mazes )
sometimes they dig, sometimes they don't
and raising from a sling will allow you to adjust to it

good luck

as for the SLOW?
hmmm
My C. crawshayi doesn't seem fast.. but then I've RARELY seen her out of her burrow

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would go for a pokie. That was and still is my first and only old worlder. I may do more later but for now I am amazed by my regalis and my ornata. I love them and would really like to get a formosa and of couse a metallica.

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I kept only new world for a while but I just couldnt resist. I think my first old worlder was a Haplopelma, but i really dont know for sure. If you keep your hands out of the way, they are pretty easy to care for and stuff, not as colorful as a pokie but awesome none the less. OBTs are also pretty easy and very bright in color but its the same as with the haps (and any other old worlder) keep your hands out of their range.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How about a species of the horned Ceratogyrus?

Or

Cyriopagopus schioedtei
Cyriopagopus sp "Singapore Blue"
Haplopelma albostria-tum/-ta
H. aureopilosum
H. schmidti
H. hainanum

Chilobrachys fimbriatus

Or those dazzling Pokies!

Arachno~Raver

Arachnopeon
I'd go for an OBT too.

same here i bought mine as my fourth T it is a juvinille and has given me no problems so far but the problem you might have is i never get to really see mine move he is constantly hidden in his web structre and i swear he knows when im watching him as i never get to see him hunt because ill wait nothing leave the room for say 30 secs get back cricket gone but they do look amazeing and when it is out you can get some wicked threat displays

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeh, i dont know how abundant they are in the states but here in the uk cyriopagopus 'blue' have become so numerous that they are now selling for around £15, so if they are cheap near you, they are brilliant to grow, they grow quick and very good feeders... til maturity.... lol

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah i checked a link to a dealer here on this site and a cyriopagopus 'blue' is selling for $125 for a 1", I am leaning towards either a Poecilotheria regalis, Poecilotheria fasciata, or an Heteroscodra maculata. What do yall think? LOL as looking for new spiders I already have my eye set on my next new world spider Lasiodora parahybana.But what do yall think about some of those old world choices?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i'd go with the regalis or the h. maculata, if that's your choice. the regalis might be more common, but it's also larger and better contrasted than the fasciata. pokies are good eaters and grow quickly. the maculata has a very nice colour and pattern, but they seem to grow exceedingly slow. but if you have the money, go for a cyriopagopus blue. they are awsome.

Hedrus

Arachnopeon
yeah i checked a link to a dealer here on this site and a cyriopagopus 'blue' is selling for $125 for a 1",
Woah:eek: ! That is WAY to expensive. I got mine for $60 sling. Its about 1-1.5" long to. Whats cool about the tree spiders is they seem to grow faster and mine at least sit around on a branch in plain view allot. Especially if you place branches in a way so they can be on the underside but still in good viewing area. Pokies are great to and cheaper. I've seen some at around $25 and I bet if you look you could find a deal and get them even cheaper. They grow pretty fast as well. Heteroscodra Maculata is another really pretty one that is super cheap. Very much like OBT in speed and temper. Mine doesn't do as much webbing.

Kenzie

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pokie

Pokies have interesting color/pattern markings, and have interesting habits, stretching out on tree bark, gracefully moving to face another direction. I think they are some of the more interesting OW's Ts, just keep in mind, if you want one, they are very fast, and the venom is strong.

Dumaw

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
get a Pterinochilus murinus, beautiful and very interesting spider, you will love it

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I personally don't agree(but I respect all replies everyone made) with the P murinus choicing, H maculata or any of the Pokies as a first OW T. I would think an E pachypus would be far better since it is underrated and many say it's more skittish than defensive as an OW T. This would also be my first choice in getting an OW, and I can't resist the bellbottom look on the females. Of course I'm not objecting personally to anyone's opinion just stating mine, to the OP, it's your choice and your decision, good luck!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I personally don't agree(but I respect all replies everyone made) with the P murinus choicing, H maculata or any of the Pokies as a first OW T. I would think an E pachypus would be far better since it is underrated and many say it's more skittish than defensive as an OW T. This would also be my first choice in getting an OW, and I can't resist the bellbottom look on the females. Of course I'm not objecting personally to anyone's opinion just stating mine, to the OP, it's your choice and your decision, good luck!
A Poke is more skittish than defensive. There is nothing wrong with starting out with one IMO. For some reason alot of folks seem to think a Poke is a monster just waiting to bite someone which isnt true at all. The E pachypus is by far a more defensive spider than any Poke I have ever worked with.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A Poke is more skittish than defensive. There is nothing wrong with starting out with one IMO. For some reason alot of folks seem to think a Poke is a monster just waiting to bite someone which isnt true at all. The E pachypus is by far a more defensive spider than any Poke I have ever worked with.
Oo I realize the Pokies are not monsters that just bite, as for your E pachypus going overly defensive that's a note ill keep in my book, thanks!:clap:

Arachnokid 93

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love my Citharischius crawshayi to death try one of them always something to do with one of those :D