About Feeding

Jimilas

Arachnopeon
Hello guys! I think I got something in my mind that I could use some advice for.
I read in some website that spiderlings should be fed twice a week. That's was the appropriate regimen according to the article.
Personally, I own a nhandu chromatus and its diagonal legspan its about 2 cm.
I have the little spider for two weeks now and I followed the advice above.
The meals are regular choices , three crickets and a mealworm since now.
But her ass :p is bigger than the abdomen and it's like it belongs to a bigger spider.
Do you think that I crossed the line and joined powerfeeding area? (because I am not a fan)
Also, could I slow it down to once a week feeding without harming the spider ?
Looking forward to replies!
Thanks

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Here's a photo of my fat A. geniculata before she molted, if it makes you feel any better :D
(I call her "the grape" when she's in premolt)

Slings grow quickly (for the most part) and molt frequently. All the energy they get from food is used for their growth and general learning-how-to-be-a-tarantula. They shouldn't be fed every day IMO, but twice a week is certainly okay. Some of mine I will feed every two days if they'll eat.

The dangers of overfeeding come as juveniles and adults. When their abdomens are huge, they can risk rupturing them from a fall or irritating their "skin" from dragging them over the ground of their enclosures. They're not growing quickly anymore, so they have to wait a significant amount of time between molts.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
There is no overfeeding spiderlings.

Their goal is to grow, and as fast as possible. Feed until they refuse then moult.

Slow the feeding down once they reach juvenile stage.

Jimilas

Arachnopeon
Here's a photo of my fat A. geniculata before she molted, if it makes you feel any better :D

Slings grow quickly (for the most part) and molt frequently. All the energy they get from food is used for their growth and general learning-how-to-be-a-tarantula. They shouldn't be fed every day IMO, but twice a week is certainly okay. Some of mine I will feed every two days if they'll eat.

The dangers of overfeeding come as juveniles and adults. When their abdomens are huge, they can risk rupturing them from a fall or irritating their "skin" from dragging them over the ground of their enclosures. They're not growing quickly anymore, so they have to wait a significant amount of time between molts.
THA

The dangers of overfeeding come as juveniles and adults. When their abdomens are huge, they can risk rupturing them from a fall or irritating their "skin" from dragging them over the ground of their enclosures. They're not growing quickly anymore, so they have to wait a significant amount of time between molts.[/QUO

Your spider has a BIG BUTT for sure Paiige!!! (LOL) It's like this thing it's about to blow up.
Also one of my favourite species , I couldn't find one of these to the store here.
I guess each spider behaves differently and has different needs.
Thanks for your valuable answer!!!

Last edited:

Jimilas

Arachnopeon
There is no overfeeding spiderlings.

Their goal is to grow, and as fast as possible. Feed until they refuse then moult.

Slow the feeding down once they reach juvenile stage.[/QUOTE

Yes I guess it would be safer that way! Thank you.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
My slings get fed at least every other day, more commonly every day. Until they refuse, of course.

As has been said, you can't overfeed slings.

cold blood

Staff member
While its 100% true that you cannot over-feed a sling, there is also a point, like paiige's chaco, where there is absolutely no point in continuing to offer food. When they get that fat, just let them be and wait for a molt....Nhandu molt very frequently...every 24-30 days in my house.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's counter-intuitive to slow down their feeding.

I feed all of mine as often as they will eat, regardless of age. The only exception I make is with some of my AF NW species at times.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
While its 100% true that you cannot over-feed a sling, there is also a point, like paiige's chaco, where there is absolutely no point in continuing to offer food. When they get that fat, just let them be and wait for a molt....Nhandu molt very frequently...every 24-30 days in my house.
I wish this were true of my Nhandu...:(

Also that's A. genic ;)

Last edited:

Jimilas

Arachnopeon

Am I the only one here who has only one spider ? :p