about Curly hair tarantulas.

Leila

Arachnobaron
You guys....I wanna know why THIS thread is one of the First that popped up in my search for "B. albo sling care." :drunk::drunk::drunk::dead:
Seriously. Lol. This post is so misleading. Imagine if a newbie who had not done much research prior to reading the OP's post saw this and did not venture furthur into the thread... @cold blood @Exoskeleton Invertebrates @EulersK. This goes against what all of you have told me thus far. :bored:o_O

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Seriously. Lol. This post is so misleading. Imagine if a newbie who had not done much research prior to reading the OP's post saw this and did not venture furthur into the thread... @cold blood @Exoskeleton Invertebrates @EulersK. This goes against what all of you have told me thus far. :bored:o_O
Yes, well, we also advocate thinking for yourself. Hopefully the abundant redundancies and grammatical/spelling errors would tip someone off on this person's credentials :p

Leila

Arachnobaron
Yes, well, we also advocate thinking for yourself. Hopefully the abundant redundancies and grammatical/spelling errors would tip someone off on this person's credentials :p
Fair enough :D:p:wideyed::happy::happy::happy:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
*cough our new president cough* Sorry I have a cold.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Omfg, you are my fave @Chris LXXIX!!!! Hahahahahahahahahha!!!!!!
Oh thank you Lady. Your kind words are a placebo for my soul during the last part of this unfinished Lombardy Winter that not even the best Tennessee whiskey which old good Larry Hagman used to watering his throath with, can match :)

Leila

Arachnobaron
Oh thank you Lady. Your kind words are a placebo for my soul during the last part of this unfinished Lombardy Winter that not even the best Tennessee whiskey which old good Larry Hagman used to watering his troath with, can match :)
:kiss::D

Leila

Arachnobaron
I was not putting any blame on you guys. No way! Only stating that I found it quite bizarre that this archaic post was one of the first two to pop up in my AB search for B. albo slings. I thought you guys would find amusement in this. :happy:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I was not putting any blame on you guys. No way! Only stating that I found it quite bizarre that this archaic post was one of the first two to pop up in my AB search for B. albo slings. I thought you guys would find amusement in this. :happy:
What always gets me is a handy part in The Tarantula Keeper's Guide that suggests keeping Avics in enclosures with no substrate. Just a giant water dish as a base. Quite the recommendation...

Leila

Arachnobaron
What always gets me is a handy part in The Tarantula Keeper's Guide that suggests keeping Avics in enclosures with no substrate. Just a giant water dish as a base. Quite the recommendation...
Whaaaaaaaat??

cold blood

Staff member
He said...^^^^

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Whaaaaaaaat??
Not exaggerating even a little. I've actually thought about critiquing the book in a video, but I fear that's a bit too arrogant. It's a book with a lot of great information, but some of the suggestions should be avoided. It's hard to tell the difference when you're a new hobbyist.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
Not exaggerating even a little. I've actually thought about critiquing the book in a video, but I fear that's a bit too arrogant. It's a book with a lot of great information, but some of the suggestions should be avoided. It's hard to tell the difference when you're a new hobbyist.
:astonished: I have no interest in arboreals currently so I never looked into their care & only know what I read in TKG...thought this was legit! :shifty:

20170308_015034.png

boina

Lady of the mites
When I started out I read the TKG and then I read the German equvalent, Peter Klaas book (you know all those Ts. called Something klaasi or peterklaasi or pulcherimaklaasi?). After that I was ready to throw in the towel. Those two books practically contract each other at every turn. P. Klaas is a strong believer in high temps and a specific humidity for every species and he gives specific care sheets for about everything. He does know a lot about Ts in their natural environment, though, so he does advocate for more involved setups. In the end I decided to go with logic and basic animal behaviour knowledge, meaning if a T wants a hide and substrate in its natural environment it will probably 'like' one in it's cage, too.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The tarantula keepers guide is a great starting point for any new keeper and as such it should be the 1st addition to your collection. It's not without it's faults one of which @EulersK as brought up as I'm pretty sure none of us do or would keep Avics that way there's a few more besides but maybe that's the reason there's an updated version in the pipeline (may even be out now) along side tkg I have a small book by Russ Gurley about keeping tarantula and scorpions in captivity so between them there's plenty of information that helps beginners and experienced keeper.

My go to book though is Tarantulas of the world by Francois teyssie it feels almost twice as thick as Tkg and it as a lot more up to date information. It feels fresh in it's approach compared to tkg don't get me wrong there's still alot of reading of a scientific nature which may seem daunting to a beginner and it's definitely not a sit and read in 1 sitting kind of book.
There's a major downside to this book also and that is the price to put it bluntly it was more expensive that any of my tarantulas including my adult females and that was after it was on sale at half price if I'd paid full price for it then it would have been almost double the price of my Grammostola pulchra female who is my most expensive tarantula purchase ever

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
The tarantula keepers guide is a great starting point for any new keeper and as such it should be the 1st addition to your collection. It's not without it's faults one of which @EulersK as brought up as I'm pretty sure none of us do or would keep Avics that way there's a few more besides but maybe that's the reason there's an updated version in the pipeline (may even be out now) along side tkg I have a small book by Russ Gurley about keeping tarantula and scorpions in captivity so between them there's plenty of information that helps beginners and experienced keeper.

My go to book though is Tarantulas of the world by Francois teyssie it feels almost twice as thick as Tkg and it as a lot more up to date information. It feels fresh in it's approach compared to tkg don't get me wrong there's still alot of reading of a scientific nature which may seem daunting to a beginner and it's definitely not a sit and read in 1 sitting kind of book.
There's a major downside to this book also and that is the price to put it bluntly it was more expensive that any of my tarantulas including my adult females and that was after it was on sale at half price if I'd paid full price for it then it would have been almost double the price of my Grammostola pulchra female who is my most expensive tarantula purchase ever
It's $95 on Amazon from the publisher, not a bad price considering. Thanks for the recommendation, didn't even know this existed & can't wait to read it!

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's $95 on Amazon from the publisher, not a bad price considering. Thanks for the recommendation, didn't even know this existed & can't wait to read it!
When I bought my copy it was still selling at around $145. It's a great read and some of the photography of the biotopes are beautiful as well as being informative they tend to focus more on Brachypelma and Grammostola though so it's mainly central/south America