About adding tea leftovers/used tea bags to the millipedes substrate

MarshallBlue

Arachnopeon
Hi, Can we mix green and black (or other kind of) tea leftovers/used tea bags into the substrate? I've seen some plant keepers adding leftovers into top of the soil and I wondered if it's can be also beneficial for substrate or the millipedes to chew on. Thanks.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
This subject comes up every now and then, and I think the biggest problem is that the tannins in the tea bag, being quite acidic, do more harm than good for millipedes, and the tea is not eaten (obviously having an acidic, indelible element in a substrate is not optimal).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks @Arthroverts,

Okay so green and black, as well as white, oolong, pu’erh, yellow, are all the same plant Camellia sinensis. In an uncomposted/fermented form I wouldn’t use them or find it usable, and Camellia sinensis does have high tannin content, gives the bite that some teas have. I am actually experimenting with a loose leaf compost for isopods right now.

in regards to daisy tea, im not sure Bellis perennis would be safe for millipedes, if I remember correctly it is fairly poisonous to cats and dogs. I don’t know what other life forms this extends to, ans I don’t remember off the top of my head the chemical agent involved In the toxicity. On the safe side if probably say best to not try.