About a Theraphosa sp.. Who am I?

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry in advance for the HUGE pic.. photobucket is bugged and wont save the re-sized images for me atm.

So... I didn't want to do it, as I am sending money to buy other Ts right now (as always).. but they gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. I picked her up at a LPS a couple days ago. Sold as a Goliath Birdeater.

She's easily about 9" spread out. Definately female. Her and another had been sitting in the LPS for about 3 weeks. Sooooo... after signing a medical waiver not holding the store liable for the Uriticating hairs and damage the fangs could do.. I walked away with a decently nice WC Theraphosa sp. for less than $60 with tax. I am leaning towards T. blondie due to the coloration patterns on the knees and the super hairy legs (which I am told the T. sp. burgundy do not have). Am I understanding correctly? Anyone with good working knowlege of this species chiming in, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
not the blondi! T. sp. 'burgundy" have no long hair on the patella! your t has none!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is a Theraphosa blondi (Specimen owned by my friend "Pato Chacoana" )

Last edited:

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Got ya! Thank you both very kindly for the responses :) they're much appreciated. I'm quite impressed with her though, regardless of her not being the T. blondie. A little rugged looking, but she's pretty calm. Flicked hair like mad at the LPS, only flicked once when I got her home. She's been fine since... either that, or she's realized she's as bald as Patrick Stewart.. kicking is futile!

Thanks for the reference pic btw, I see what you mean now. (I saw a few other posts you had pointing to some, but it just didn't really click until now :p)

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Shes a big one!
Congrats, $60 for her is a steal ;)

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks so much :) yeah, I couldn't pass her up. They had her posted originally for $112.. that was three weeks ago. Though, they had three, one molted and was absolutely beautiful. They got full price for her. Suprisingly, all three were females. Our area got 5 of them between the family run LPS' and the big chain LPS'. The other one they still have there has ducked away into a small cave and wont come out. I got a decent shot of her, I really really think she's gravid. I -MAY- pick her up if she's there in a week.. pull the sack with her too. I just dont know the first thing about T. sp. aside from how to keep them comfortable :p

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looks like freshly wild caught! I imagine ''spinipes'' populations are getting wiped out in many places of the Guianas...but there's still hope 'cause of the cheap prices... It would be cool as others members here do, if you can make efforts to breed and hopefully reduce WC sales, I feel that somehow this Theraphosa sp. needs a rest from massive collecting. :eek:

Anyway, good luck, it's very nice spider! :)

Ohhh... Fran, what a beautiful Theraphosa blondi!! But crappy pic :D

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very nice looking burgundy. you can almost guarantee shes WC tho, based on how badly shes ruffed up. one cool thing is when she molts she will be absolutely GORGEOUS! enjoy.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, so question. I havent kept up on the taxonomy of this genus. so can someone show me where it was deemed the "sp. burgundy" became the T. spinipes? and when did this happen?!

Thanks.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Ok, so question. I havent kept up on the taxonomy of this genus. so can someone show me where it was deemed the "sp. burgundy" became the T. spinipes? and when did this happen?!

Thanks.
First of all, despite how people call it, it's not Theraphosa spinipes yet, but Lasiodora spinipes. Also, "officially" Theraphosa sp. "Burgundy" is not L. spinipes either. This info/claim comes from Rick West, but unless the "burgundy" material has been compared to Karsch's L. spinipes type(s), there's no 100% guarantee that Lasiodora spinipes = Theraphosa sp. "Burgundy".

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hmmm...so its basically just hearsay then. Anyway. thanks. just trying to figure out what I may have.:eek:

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
First of all, despite how people call it, it's not Theraphosa spinipes yet, but Lasiodora spinipes. Also, "officially" Theraphosa sp. "Burgundy" is not L. spinipes either. This info/claim comes from Rick West, but unless the "burgundy" material has been compared to Karsch's L. spinipes type(s), there's no 100% guarantee that Lasiodora spinipes = Theraphosa sp. "Burgundy".
good point!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Seems that T Burgundy will be Theraphosa spinipes, but nothing is out yet.

I just HATE the name "Burgundy".