Aborted ootheca

craze horse

Arachnosquire
One of my females has aborted her ootheca. I feel partly to blame as we hadn't been getting on and had a row before I went to work.
On a serious note last night I saw her on ger back a few times. So I righted her. They're viv isn't massive but tall with hiding places but they all still like to sit on top of the logs ! I feed them beetle jelly and any greens I have. Peppers etc strawberries etc
Anyways I checked on her before I walked my dog and came back and had another look in the viv and there is a long large ootheca sack laying on its own not attached. She isn't stood on her legs just lying there though her antenna are moving. Is she going to die ? Or just exhausted ? I'm a bit bothered as I like my pets happy and don't want to lose anything.

craze horse

Arachnosquire
I posted this last night in another extremely old thread. I checked again this morning and she hasn't moved though her antenna are. Still has a bit of ootheca coming out. Been like this all night. Should I eauthanse her ? Don't like to see her suffering.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Sounds like she may just be an old individual, you may want to put her down if that's the case. First try moving her to her own cage with some moist substrate/paper towel, and try wiping the ootheca remnants off her, unless what you are describing is a prolapse, in which case don't touch it. Chances are she's beyond saving, but you can try. Got any pictures of her in her current condition?

craze horse

Arachnosquire
What's the best way to euthanase a hisser ? I can just crush her with a couple bricks. Boiling water like a lobster ? As sad as it sounds I can't crush her this is a cockroach I shouldn't be getting down about it......

billrogers

Arachnoknight
What's the best way to euthanase a hisser ? I can just crush her with a couple bricks. Boiling water like a lobster ? As sad as it sounds I can't crush her this is a cockroach I shouldn't be getting down about it......
I have always heard that the most humane way to dispatch insects is to put them in the freezer. The cold essentially caused them to fall asleep and they die while asleep.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Yeah, looks like she's not in good shape, freezing her would be the most humane method to euthanize her. Sorry for your loss. :(

craze horse

Arachnosquire
Yeah, looks like she's not in good shape, freezing her would be the most humane method to euthanize her. Sorry for your loss. :(
Thanks. Can't believe I feel bad over her ! Not impressed as her family totally ignored her. Bastards !