aboreal tarantulas

tarantulafreak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have a Pink toe tarantula and i am getting a small indian ornamental this saturday. i was woundering what king of plants should i put in the cage? should i have fake plants of real plants in the cage.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have a Pink toe tarantula and i am getting a small indian ornamental this saturday. i was woundering what king of plants should i put in the cage? should i have fake plants of real plants in the cage.
Always use fake plants.

If you use real plants you'll be doing double the work to up keep plants than for the spider its self. so real plants aren't worth it at all.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if your fine with the work, real plants look amazing, but thats your call. Fake work fine, and in fact just a simple piece of cork bark tube (or half tube if you want) is all they really need

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if you don't mind a bit of extra maintainance, live plants look great. and with a pokie, they won't usually die from getting webbed over too much. plus, they keep the humidity high.

a very good arboreal plant is any small philodendron: they are ok with not getting very much light, they have big, robust leaves that can actually carry a ts weight once big enough, they survive even when radically cut back several times a year... and i think there are some dwarf species fitting into smaller tanks. of course they look much better than fake plants.

i used to have some tanks with live plants, and it's just no comparison. they look great. but i don't have the time for the extra maintainance with the number of ts i now keep. pity... actually, just now thinking about planting one or two tanks again...:eek:

tarantulafreak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i know that plants need sun to grow but i keep all my t's in my room and my room is warm the temp. in my room is 80 degrees F. if i do decide to use real plants will i need to have them near a window to get sunlight? would it be better to use a 10 gallon tank for a pink toe or should i get a plastic container and make it stand up vertical? do you have any pics of pink toes and indian ornamentals in their terrariums with plants?

tacomadiver

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if i do decide to use real plants will i need to have them near a window to get sunlight?
Absolutely not. Even if it is cool in your room once the sun goes through a window and then into an enclose space, such as a terrarium it becomes like an oven and will surely fry your T. There are plants that generally live on the forest floor that do very well with just a little indirect light. Or you could get a fluorescent lamp that has UV if you want more light loving sp. of plants

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A good full-spectrum light will make your ts look gorgeous, too.