aboreal tarantula lovers paridise

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is AWESOME!!! BUT, I use tanks no larger than 5 gal, so it can't help me.

BUT, I now have a great idea. The top screen bracket they used, is nothing mors than a cut down version of a window screen kit. Cheap and easily modified to fit any tank.

I have been toying with making my own glass tanks, so I will be purchasing a glass grinder, and I bet I can easily duplicate this product to fit any tank.

Just need to find gasket to make the hindge.

Thanks for the post and fueling my creativity!!!

PIG-

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They're easy to DIY :D

I keep all my adult female avics in 10 gallon vertical vivariums with fronts that I make:

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I like the clean look of having all the vent at the top. It doesn't look to me like you have any hinge there though? And how do you manage to make the lid close without having it attach to the top of the enclosure?

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use clear packing tape for the hinge, because it doesn't block the viewing area, is cheap, and works. I'm not sure what you mean by the second question? The white things at the top are tabs that hold the middle glass door section up. They open downward.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nicole 10 gal is a huge condo for an avi:)

What did you use to hinge the glass door, or do you remove it every time you open it?

Saw you answered this while I was typing, is the door glass or acrylic?

PIG-

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nicole 10 gal is a huge condo for an avi:)

What did you use to hinge the glass door, or do you remove it every time you open it?

PIG-
Haha, yeah I know they are big. But 10 gals are cheaper than 5s, and big enough that I can reuse them later for other things more easily. :D

ETA: I use glass. I don't recommend acrylic at all. It warps over time, especially with higher humidity.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very cool, looks like this can be made for a fraction of the retro kit.

Nice job Nicole!!!!

PIG-

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use clear packing tape for the hinge, because it doesn't block the viewing area, is cheap, and works. I'm not sure what you mean by the second question? The white things at the top are tabs that hold the middle glass door section up. They open downward.
How do you attach the tabs to the window-screen plastic frame? It seems like that wouldn't be very sturdy.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How do you attach the tabs to the window-screen plastic frame? It seems like that wouldn't be very sturdy.
If its window screen framing (which I believe it is) its aluminum and you can easily drill through it and secure with a nut on the backside.

PIG-

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If its window screen framing (which I believe it is) its aluminum and you can easily drill through it and secure with a nut on the backside.

PIG-
Oh! Okay!
It looked plastic to me, but I've never screened a window.:D

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really like these. I was going to order some a while back but never got around to it.

I'm not very handy at DIY projects sadly so getting these is probably going to be my best option

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

PIG-
Yep, aluminum. I just use the screws that come with the tab thingies and put a ball of air-dry clay on the pointy bit that pokes out the back.

This is completely false when used to the proper specifications.
Care to elaborate? I've never had much luck with acrylic myself and from what I have read it isn't highly recommended among dart frog keepers (who use the setups extensively) due to the warping. It seems to be a very common problem for those who use acrylic for tank tops or vertical conversions, so if there is a solution I'd love to hear it.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Care to elaborate? I've never had much luck with acrylic myself and from what I have read it isn't highly recommended among dart frog keepers (who use the setups extensively) due to the warping. It seems to be a very common problem for those who use acrylic for tank tops or vertical conversions, so if there is a solution I'd love to hear it.
Well, That's a large question to just answer in a thread. But, I will say this, People tend to call any clear plastic "acrylic" and when the wrong thickness or material is used, they tend to develop an opinion about it ALL. Dart frog keepers aren't intrinsically knowledgeable about plastic. So, I can't say why they say that, OTHER THAN PURE OPINION??

Acrylic does expand and contract slightly, and if tolerances for this isn't considered, it could pose a problem. BUT, keep in mind glass warps also!

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow Nicole! I don't suppose you'd have time to make a "diy" thread on those lids? Maybe with material costs and such? Looks great! I love your' setups!

sn95

Arachnopeon
That is AWESOME!!! BUT, I use tanks no larger than 5 gal, so it can't help me.

BUT, I now have a great idea. The top screen bracket they used, is nothing mors than a cut down version of a window screen kit. Cheap and easily modified to fit any tank.

I have been toying with making my own glass tanks, so I will be purchasing a glass grinder, and I bet I can easily duplicate this product to fit any tank.

Just need to find gasket to make the hindge.

Thanks for the post and fueling my creativity!!!

PIG-
http://www.petco.com/product/107312...rium-Cover.aspx?CoreCat=FishFC_Hoods_Lighting

The hinges are nothing more than the plastic hinge that would go with a glass aquarium hood. I'm pretty sure most big chain pet stores should carry just the hinge in a couple different lengths.

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
http://www.petco.com/product/107312...rium-Cover.aspx?CoreCat=FishFC_Hoods_Lighting

The hinges are nothing more than the plastic hinge that would go with a glass aquarium hood. I'm pretty sure most big chain pet stores should carry just the hinge in a couple different lengths.
US Plastics and similar companies have it too, just search for "living hinge"

Wow Nicole! I don't suppose you'd have time to make a "diy" thread on those lids? Maybe with material costs and such? Looks great! I love your' setups!
I'll work on this, and thanks :D