Aboreal Inclosure

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know this is kind of backwards,but I have a 10 gallon tank and would like to turn into an Aboreal tank,this would be my first Ab. T. What kind and size would you recomend for this tank.

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
any really just lets say they should be about 3 in or bigger though

Steven.WK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
10 gallon is really big. You can fit the largest spiders in there. As for arboreals, I wouldn't put anything less than 5" in there. You can choose Pokes, Avics, Psalmopoeus, or Cyriopagopus sp. "blue". These blues get big and they are really beautiful.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah, 10 gallon is HUGE for an arboreal. unless you had a colony in there or something, but that's overkill for one arboreal. a 5 gallon would work fine if you wanted to turn it on a side so it's vertical.

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't think that a 10 gallon tank is too big for an adult arboreal, particularly something like a large poecilotheria. Another option is sectioning off the tank into 2-3 enclosures with plexiglass (or glass) and aquarium sealant. That way you get three cages in one. You can also use the 10 gal as a humidity chamber with a layer of water and put critter keepers inside holding your T's. This not only maintains humidity but provides a second line of defense against escapes. Or you could start a roach colony in your 10 gal and put the T's in other enclosures, the you would have food for almost free.
Spar

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the input.I have only been involved with this hobby for a couple months,(I have 4 Ts with two on the way) ! I have learned more from reading this forum than both of the books I bought.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
buy 3-4 Holothele incei that could put that tank to good use....

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know this is kind of backwards,but I have a 10 gallon tank and would like to turn into an Aboreal tank,this would be my first Ab. T. What kind and size would you recomend for this tank.
Visit http://atshq.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10874 for housing suggestions. Note particularly the method that uses a 10 gal. tank stood on its end.

If this is your first arboreal I don't think that you could go wrong with an Avicularia avicularia (Guyana pinktoe). They're inexpensive and reasonably hardy. Save the others for after you've had a little experience.

For a 10 gal. tank, anything with a leg span of 2 inches or better is probably okay. For arboreals it's hard to get a cage that's too big. In nature they live on huge forest trees and are preprogrammed and predesigned for living high up in large spaces.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One thing you can do is get a 10gal. with one of the tank seperators you can get a petco or wherever. Then stick it in there to section off the tank, and just move or remove the divider as it gets bigger. That way you dont have to worry about too much space, and it is completely adaptable to the T's size as it grows.

As for arboreals, I just have an A. avicularia, A. versicolor, and P. pederseni. None of mine are large enough yet for a 10gal. but I would recommend any Avicularia as they are all great starter arboreal T's...not to mention absolutely stunning to look at...lol. The Avicularia braunshauseni reaches a larger size than most other Avics, so that is an option if you want something larger, but not a pokie, or tap. It would create an awesome home in a 10gal.