abnormal abdomen e. murinus

tass

Arachnopeon
This looks pretty abnormal to me any one have any idea what's going on here? He's completely bald where this lump is on his abdomen. I just purchased it from a local pet shop and didn't notice this until i took him out of his webbed up hide and moved him into a new one.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would take it back if you can. That looks like a pretty bad abscess of some sort and those rarely end up with a happy ending. Whatever it is, it most likely does not bode well for the spider.

tass

Arachnopeon
there is no return policy and it was only 30$ bucks so it's not that big of a deal i just wanted to know what was wrong with it. it was housed poorly with wood chips and water gel and i highly doubt it's been fed. anyways is it pretty definite that it's going to pass away?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
there is no return policy and it was only 30$ bucks so it's not that big of a deal i just wanted to know what was wrong with it. it was housed poorly with wood chips and water gel and i highly doubt it's been fed. anyways is it pretty definite that it's going to pass away?
I can't answer that question, because I don't know. I have yet to read of a good outcome with an abdomen like that, but if you feed sparingly and let it take a long time until its next molt; that is most likely the best you can do for it.

If you use the advanced search, look in the tarantula section and search the titles and use the word "surgery" to look for other Ts with similar problems. Once you get one relevant thread, go to the bottom of it and there will be more linked for you there.

It sucks that they have a no return policy, but you couldn't actually see the tarantula when you bought it. I would probably have a heated phone call with a manager myself.

Last edited:

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dang, I'm really sorry. I know EXACTLY where you got it from.

It only molted about a month ago, I didn't notice the spot before, but it was definitely there after.

It and the pet store across town by Books A Million are owned by the same company, go to the other one next time. They actually keep theirs on peat/coco fiber and give them water bowls.

And no, I don't work there. I try not to buy there, but I do stop in every now and then to look.

tass

Arachnopeon
Dang, I'm really sorry. I know EXACTLY where you got it from.

It only molted about a month ago, I didn't notice the spot before, but it was definitely there after.

It and the pet store across town by Books A Million are owned by the same company, go to the other one next time. They actually keep theirs on peat/coco fiber and give them water bowls.

And no, I don't work there. I try not to buy there, but I do stop in every now and then to look.
haha fellow new bern person ;) yeah we don't have many T sellers around here so we took a trip to Jacksonville cuz we went out to the mall and i saw it so i had to buy it anyways, we'll see how it goes it does not look terribly bad right now but it's still funky looking.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I need to update my profile, I've moved to Havelock recently, but we have friends in jacksonville so I frequent the pet stores there. Petswarehouse is fairly decent and carriers a wide variety of cricket sizes. Just discovered the other store more recently.