Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

abhorrent pet store experience

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Asgiliath, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Asgiliath

Asgiliath Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    My boyfriend and I are currently camped out in Fort Lauderdale hoping to dodge the worst of Dorian.

We were looking for something to do this morning so we looked up exotics stores in the area. We ended up at a place called Underground Reptiles.

(First thing we noticed was bible passages all over the windows which was bizarre but not concerning.)

When we got in, I went straight for the T’s and THE FIRST thing I saw was an emaciated and obviously dead stirmi! I took out my phone and first let the clerk know that I’m deaf (so he knew why I was tying) and that I noticed his t. stirmi was dead.

We walked back over to the enclosure. He knocked on the glass and then picked up the enclosure, dumped the T in the trash and put the empty enclosure back on the shelf. I just wanted to see if he had thoughts on the situation so I asked him what he thought might have gone wrong. He said “stirmi just die” O....KAY??

The other tarantulas were in pretty horrible conditions. Literally just housed in catch cups with nowhere to move, no water dishes etc.

They also had a lot of slings and I asked about the price of 1 centimeter(?) b. klaasi sling. 100 USD.

I noped the hell out of there. Depressing.

• Sad Sad x 11
  2. ShyDragoness

ShyDragoness Arachnobaron Active Member

Thats just awful man.. I cant cope with pet stores

3. mack1855

mack1855 Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Yep..depressing,not suprising.A $400.00 banana ball python vs a $100.00 B.klassi sling.And 20 people
    looking at the ball,and maybe 2 looking at the Brachy.Who gets the petstores attention?.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Asgiliath

True. Just ridiculous considering I have brachy slings that I got for under 10$.

• Like Like x 1
  5. disentomb

disentomb c u r s e d Arachnosupporter

Sounds like an awful experience! I always end up on their website when looking for Ts to buy, but I remember reading some other dreadful reviews about them - so you definitely reassured me on them! So ridiculous!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Asgiliath

Sure you aren’t thinking of Backwater? (they’re awful too)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince

They are primarily importers/wholesalers with a storefront.. They get species x, hydrate it,attempt to feed it, catalog it and then list it for 2-3x there profit.. They mostly sell to other mom and pop and possibly some chain stores ( I don't know exactly Ryan has structured his business). They buy reptiles etc.. in bulk and then basically flip the animal.. The less time and money they spend on it's care the more they make. That stirmi was inconsequential too the employee because they bring in 20-30 + at a time and pay $11-20 dollars based on whether they say small med or lg T. stirmi..So it's no big deal to them.. Ehh that's old school import mentality for ya..

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Tuisto

Tuisto Arachnosquire Active Member

AR
    UDGR has a site too, just as bad as backwater.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Asgiliath

Shame. I don’t think these places are too focused on selling to serious tarantula hobbyists so they probably aren’t focused on impressing us with their husbandry. I’ve found most are run by reptile folks.

Odd though, I only saw one or two beginner friendly species so who are they trying to sell to? Guess they don’t really care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Asgiliath

Yikes

11. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Fantastic, sublime, awesome! :pompous:

The anthropologist within me is triggered... I really, really love the southern part of the U.S of A :writer:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  12. BenWilly

BenWilly Arachnosquire

A friend of mine ordered (against my advice) several tarantulas and a few snakes from them last summer, the T's arrived in deli cups with some mulch (or should I say, sharp sticks) in them, no padding, no damp paper towels to cushion them , nothing. Its amazing they survived the shipping. A few deli's had molts in with them, so it was evident they had been in them a while. The T's were all severely emaciated, dehydrated, and I was amazed they were even alive. The snakes were all emaciated also, were in cloth , bags and one had shed in the bag. Never again my buddy said.
    "The anthropologist within me is triggered... I really, really love the southern part of the U.S of A :writer:"
    @Chris LXXIX in my state we have the churches with the venomous snake handlers ;)

13. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnoangel Active Member

I've looked at their website. They're one the few I've seen who ship venomous reptiles and exotic mammals (fennec foxes, marmosets, etc.). Scary and sad.

14. ThorsCarapace22

ThorsCarapace22 Arachnosquire

My whole entire family is Pentecostal. :yawn: old news to me.;)

And man pet stores make me sick to my stomach. Some are better than others I reckon, It makes me sad honestly. I ordered my first T from a VERY sketchy website and mine arrived the same way. 80$ for a G. Porteri one molt away from a mature male. :bag:

15. Urzeitmensch

Urzeitmensch Arachnosquire

I am actually kind of happy I have never seen Ts sold in a German pet store (except specialized ones). I would probably go ballistic on some poor employee.

I am considering visiting a specific exotics zoo but am actually a little torn if I should really go because I fear that if they keep their Ts in bad conditions I may ...uh ... overreact.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Asgiliath

That’s another thing I noticed! Molts in almost every enclosure. A sign to me that they are barely checked on.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Asgiliath

“Enclosure”

18. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnodemon

I wonder if one of us got a job at this store would we be able to change the enclosures to suit the T? Or would they not allow it?

19. ghostly

ghostly Arachnopeon

Oh no. That poor blondi. That seriously sounds depressing. At least you called someone's attention to the issue, even if the clerk didn't care or doesn't know what to do...

Yeah I'm quite glad Ts in pet stores are not as common over here. Although I feel like exotic animals are gradually making their way into "mainstream" pet stores in central europe as well so... I hope they stay away from tarantulas for a few more years at least... :sorry:
    Yeah zoos aren't much better. I visited a reptile zoo with a tarantula section here in Austria a month ago... it was pretty awful, no water dishes, barely any substrate anywhere and a poor scrunched up A. genic labelled as a Nhandu chromatus. Oh well. :rolleyes:

20. Asgiliath

I’ve wondered the same thing. I’ve actually fantasized about it. Lol

• Love Love x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.