Abdomen abnormalitie, should I be worried?

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
My T stirmi has had this strange hard looking cluster on the back of her abdomen since she molted. The pics show it better than I could describe it. I was wandering what it was and if it's dangerous and if so is there anything I should be doing to help. As of now I'm trying to keep her from getting fat. She's eating and producing silk, not sure if its obstructing her anus or not but I think its higher up the abdomen. Any experiences appreciated. 20160731_154030.jpg 20160731_154011.jpg

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It doesn't look normal to me, maybe some type of fungus or maybe from a bad molt. I'm sure you'll get some better informed ideas soon.

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
Luckily I have a picture of the same area before the molt as it had slight discolouration and I was a little worried. 20160407_151730.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
What I'm about to say is 100% based in observation, so take it with a grain of salt.

Larger T. stirmi's seem to be prone to cysts, bulges, and other abnormalities. It goes beyond them always looking like they have mange - whenever I see large T. stirmi's for sale, there is almost always one that has some deformity. I'm not sure why this would be, just something to think about. If your T doesn't seem stressed or hurt, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Last edited:

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
Looks like it had a bad molt.

Here's another recent thread that leads to a few others similar.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/what-is-wrong-with-my-baby.285614/#post-2505763
looks like it might be similar though the patches look much more severe on these other ones before the molt. it might have been stressed into molting, i post a thread about it but basically I tried to delay it as much as possible but i had to move house and so move her and rehouse her while in premolt and as soon as i got here home she flipped over.

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
What I'm about to say is 100% based in observation, so take it with a grain of salt.

Larger T. stirmi's seem to be prone to cysts, bulges, and other abnormalities. It goes beyond they always looking like they have mange - whenever I see large T. stirmi's for sale, there is almost always one that has some deformity. I'm not sure why this would be, just something to think about. If your T doesn't seem stressed or hurt, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.
She seems absolutely fine at the moment so I'll take that advise.