Abandoned 1i scorplings

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was checking my pair of C gracils this evening and I noticed my female had 5 young on her back. I thought it looked like a small brood, but whatever. I was kicking myself for not removing my male yet, so I figured I would give it a shot and try to get him out before he tried to mate her. As I was removing a few odd pieces of bark I found the rest of the brood, at least 20 more clumped up on the substrate. I’ve raised 1i scorpling in one ounce deli cups with a moist paper towel before, but at least half of them die. I decided to try something different. I carefully got her to go into a five( I think) ounce deli cup with a moist paper towel and dumped her forgotten children on top of her. Some managed to hang on right off the bat. The rest are sitting near her. Hopefully a few more will climb on board. The rest, I’ll do what I can. I’ll check her in the morning.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
]Things lot really good. Late last night I helped a few babies back onto her back. This morning all but 7 were still their. Of the seven one looks deformed somehow and is having a very difficult time moving period. The other six seem to be stuck together.

Some horrible pictures, sorry these pictures are bad.

Last night. You can kind of see all the babies together in clumps.
20190722_211215.jpg

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This morning. You can see the clump, stuck young and the messed up one. 20190723_063517.jpg

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm trying to raise the ones that never made it onto her back. I broke the clump up some, but they just went back together. I decided to raise four of them together to see if they do better than the ones
that were separated. I've always raised abandoned babies separately. When they die they get gross and contaminate the entire container. They are kept in small deli cups with a piece of moist paper towel. From my experience they must be kept humid. Again, I'm expecting to loose at least half of them. They really do need the mother.

20190723_065127.jpg