AB records

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think barabootom's Pampho pic above shows perfect measuring form. You can see that the specimen is flat on the ruler with the tip of the L1 leg and the tip of the R4 leg touching the ruler.

I'm pushing 3'2" these days...you need to be more observant.

If you guys really want to do this...you need one of those grids that are in 1 inch increments...I think I've seen TravisK post a pic of his spder on one. This way, the spider can be measured from all angles.

You need to have a uniform method of measurement.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well said. Why don't we just drop the concept of this being a record holding contest and just post your biggest Ts? This way no one needs to get defensive and annoyed if your measurement isn't perfectly accurate and officially recognized and verified by Guinness. Just have fun with it.

Awesome Blondi Rob.

Hi everybody! At first I have to say, I'm not an experienced T keeper and I don't have any "big" T's yet.......but I think, the OP's intention with this thread was to have some fun and to see some nice pictures......I think it's very hard to make rules and set standards about measuring live T's. For example...what is "normal" position? Not stretched out? Some of my T's like to rest in a more stretched position than the others. I see differences even between T's from the same species. If the legs are not stretched, you can only guess, what the true size of the spider is. In my opinion, the only truly objective method is to measure the T's with fully stretched legs. But how can you measure a living T ( especially terrestrial ) with fully stretched legs? It's hard...it can be done with molts, but the actual size of the T can be bigger than the size of the molt.............And what's my point with this?......I think, in this case, you don't have to be 100% objective.....Come on boys and girls!...Just have some fun.....:)

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually, a pic taken from straight overhead with both the T and any common item with a constant size is a good form of measurement. The ratio of the item's size to the T's size will always be the same no matter how far the camera is from the subject.

Actually RobC has a point. Try it. It depends on how far away the object is from the camera and the angle the picture was taken. A quarter placed closer to the camera than the T will appear larger than if that same quarter was placed further from the camera than the T.

JOHN 3:16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is the picture you asked for. The molt has hardened and shrunk about a 1/2" or so.

John 3:16

Last edited: