AB records

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if you put a quarter next to a tarantula and you take a picture of it then you take the same picture from outer space.

the spider will still be X# of quarter lengths.

but if you wanna put the quarter on a table and the spider on the floor then obviously there will be a difference.
:wall: Rob's point is the quarter method is not a consistent way to measure a T. A quarter just 3 inches further away from the camera than the T will appear relatively smaller if taken at an angle. Multiply that by 8 or 9 times for a large T like a Blondi and the margin of error is significant. The only way the quarter method can work is if everyone stands directly over the T to take a pic.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Shame, a neat thread turned to fluff.
A few pages ago it was too serious because some dared to ask for a measuring standard and taking things too seriously. Fast forward several pages and the question still remains, but now those who aren't so indignant by the notion of rules first are now turning this thread to fluff?

Ottawaherp- I don't know if this comment was aimed at me for posting my fake spider. There was a thread about what to do with a fake Christmas tree. I had one and my son and I made spiders with them. I looked for the thread but it was buried deep. Because I was accused of being "argumentative" about asking for rules because I simply observed we had different standards of measurements in the photos. I thought it would show I don't take things so seriously. And since a humorous photo was already posted and well received, it was ok.

This is why we have rules. We need them. You leave it up to the people and you get chaos. The only fluff I see is all the brown nosing going on. ;)

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I a spider sits on this...you can measure it accurately from just about any angle...you can buy these for a couple of bucks at any art supply store.

TrevorB

Arachnopeon
i was going to suggest something like that. i have a gaming mat that is divided in to clearly visible 1" squares. plopping the T down on one of those with an overhead shot would give a good indication of size.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This card is 5" and it doesn't include the back legs. Cambridgei are noted to get 6-7" He was easily 7"+ by the time he reached his ultimate molt. This cambridgei was noted to be very large by the two breeders he was sent to. Both said it was the largest they had ever seen. It was larger than any I've had previously so I stuck a card up to it.

To be honest, I can't tell you how big most of the species I have get. I take note of size of species when purchasing but it's never the governing factor and often forget that information. :8o

Last edited:

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Because I was accused of being "argumentative" about asking for rules because I simply observed we had different standards of measurements in the photos. I thought it would show I don't take things so seriously. And since a humorous photo was already posted and well received, it was ok.

This is why we have rules. We need them. You leave it up to the people and you get chaos.
Hi. Some might disagree, but I think your photo is great...I laughed a lot...{D
PS. That cambridgei looks large! :)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I a spider sits on this...you can measure it accurately from just about any angle...you can buy these for a couple of bucks at any art supply store.

Finally! Awesome idea and I agree with that totally!!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
A little comic relief is ALWAYS welcome on the boards!

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Perhaps "fluff", was to harsh of a word. lol

This thread was a neat idea in the beginning, but we have argued and argued about how to measure a "T". (myself included) lol

Pictures are worth a thousand words. I am aware even my photos may seem deceptive with the angles, but these were the best size comparison photos I could get to give a decent "approximate" size.

The grid measuring idea is a good idea (used this method to measure my G. pulchra) but some of my big girls are not as friendly, and to place on a grid for measurement is not practical.

I expected to be scrutinizing photos with size comparison objects, instead of reading how to measure a "T" for Guiness. This is only for bragging rights.

Franklin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well i have a pamphobeteus nigricolor that is a COMPLETELY solid 6" when standing normal

[IMG

And here is a cute picture of her daughter

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Actually RobC has a point. Try it. It depends on how far away the object is from the camera and the angle the picture was taken. A quarter placed closer to the camera than the T will appear larger than if that same quarter was placed further from the camera than the T.
Take the famous camel spider photo for instance....

gbbgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just had my first entomology class today, I asked the prof how they "officially" measure inverts. He specializes in nematodes (the class I have with him is nematology). He refereed me to another prof, one that has more arachnid experience. I'll find out the academic standard this week or next.

tarantulaholic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well i have a pamphobeteus nigricolor that is a COMPLETELY solid 6" when standing normal

Above is really a nice example of measuring a T. Although we can see one of leg is bent, we can add 1/2" or so to compensate for bent.
Straight shot from the top and centered, no fuss / no confusion.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not sure the character of the spider above, but my N. chromatus or GBB wouldn't stand for that. Perhaps the B. smithi would, but the Brachy record has been taken.

I had to feed each of my big girls a roach in order to get the quarter near them. lol

Nice spider BTW, and nicely photographed to show size.

Franklin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you, i love that girl so much, she is more mellow than any tarantula i have had when she is in your hands, but in her cage she is like lightning and eats like a machine, its like the mellows out just because she knows i am holding her, but i know she has no idea whats going on unfortunately

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I just had my first entomology class today, I asked the prof how they "officially" measure inverts. He specializes in nematodes (the class I have with him is nematology). He refereed me to another prof, one that has more arachnid experience. I'll find out the academic standard this week or next.
That's good news in my opinion. Thanks for checking into it. If someone reads in the literature something can get to 8 inches (measured flat) and everyone is measuring their 8 inch T's as 7 (natural stance) then that causes confusion. Once the scientific standard is clarified, maybe we should have two lists of records (molts and mounted T's - flat meaurement) and (living T's - natural stance measurement). For obvious reasons, living tarantulas aren't going to lay flat for a picture. And thanks to everyone who has posted a picture. I haven't yet, because I only have two T's big enough to maybe qualify and I'm waiting to see if someone else posts them before I get myself all itchy. :)

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Once the scientific standard is clarified, maybe we should have two lists of records (molts and mounted T's - flat meaurement) and (living T's - natural stance measurement). For obvious reasons, living tarantulas aren't going to lay flat for a picture.
That's a great idea!:clap:

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Gosh i wish the creator of this post would finally edit the records

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Oh for God's sake people, just set them on the scanner and close the lid really tight, set an anvil on top... everyone knows you can get an accurate size that way!!!:rolleyes: {D

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think I can tell you what he will say. Measurements usually given are of body length; however, for butterflies and moths usually wingspan is indicated. The body length can aid in determining species. A 4" spider can have a 1.75" body or a spider of the same length can have 2.25" body. This is why they use body length. If you don't believe me pick up an Autubon Field Guide. This is how they measure.

Now when you whittle it down even further, a group such as tarantulas may have roughly the same size body, but the leg length is a determining factor, which is why it is also acceptable to use legspan when talking about different species that has roughly the same body length.

I'll say again, it doesn't matter which way we measure so long as everybody measures the same way. It's not that there is a right or wrong. Maybe there should be a molt category where true leg span can be measured, and a live category where it is impossible to measure that way.