Resolved AB Not Secure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
When will the forum be secure? I get warnings from chrome saying "You should not enter any sensitive information on this site or it may be stolen by attackers".

I have also noticed that AB loads very slowly compared to pretty much any other website I visit, so it has nothing to do with my internet connection.

On my phone, I get hit with pop ups left right and center, to the point where I only bother checking on my PC now. Any explanation for all these issues?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
When will the forum be secure? I get warnings from chrome saying "You should not enter any sensitive information on this site or it may be stolen by attackers".
Never enter any personal data on any web site that does not have a Secure Socket Layer and at least a two step confidential verification system in place and active. Almost no publicly accessible media site has such safeguards in place. The onus is placed on the user to avoid data breaches.
http://info.ssl.com/article.aspx?id=10241

I have also noticed that AB loads very slowly compared to pretty much any other website I visit, so it has nothing to do with my internet connection.
AB had minor server issues in December that appear to have been corrected. Logged Traceroute checks for latency show that it is running normally with no problematic slow downs for the past couple of weeks.

On my phone, I get hit with pop ups left right and center, to the point where I only bother checking on my PC now.
Obviously your phone has issues if the PC is faster. With pop up blockers and ad aware blocking in place there does not appear to be any unusual advertising activity and tracking nearly all public forums have.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
The pages load fine on my phone, faster actually, its the pop ups that really annoy me.

Thanks anyway snark.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I use Firefox and I 'log in' from notebooks and others PC I have on my house (currently the Western Wing, for @Garth Vader) but I've never from mobile devices, still I think that those are only browser notifications on 'hyped fear steroids' mode :)

IMO this site is quite secure/safe -- there's even Chris LXXIX here, as 100% quality proof, so everyone can sleep comfy :writer:

The Snark

Old Timer
The pages load fine on my phone, faster actually, its the pop ups that really annoy me.
Your phone is loaded with popup triggers. Clean them out.
https://www.mageworx.com/blog/2017/...p-triggers-to-increase-your-conversion-rates/
https://www.techlicious.com/tip/detect-remove-virus-android-phone/

Chrome loves to cry wolf. Ironic since it is also one of the largest malware/adware spreading browsers. All browsers have settings that will warn you of unsafe web sites. An unsafe web site can be anything from a normal news feed to a site that does not have SSL.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Chrome loves to cry wolf. Ironic since it is also one of the largest malware/adware spreading browsers. All browsers have settings that will warn you of unsafe web sites. An unsafe web site can be anything from a normal news feed to a site that does not have SSL.
In its infinite wisdom, Google also recently decided that if I ctrl + left-click a link to open it in a new tab, it's really a pop-up that should be blocked, even though I requested the link to open in a new tab.

The Snark

Old Timer
In its infinite wisdom, Google also recently decided that if I ctrl + left-click a link to open it in a new tab, it's really a pop-up that should be blocked, even though I requested the link to open in a new tab.
It is getting to the point where we need constantly updated key mapping to thread our way safely through a browsing session.

Logging on to AB:
arachnoboards.com
bootstrapcdn.com
google-analytics.com
googletagservices.com
lijit.com

Since an update 10 days ago, my ad blocker has blocked 551,757 ads. Granted this is a server running data acquisition 24/7 but still, that is over the top.

Last edited:

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
I had an issue with this as well. It seems the site will not redirect and force SSL to a user, so I began manually typing "https://arachnoboards.com" into the browser address bar. Eventually chrome will remember this is your preference.

Not an ideal solution, as the site should take unencrypted HTTP traffic and force it to use a SSL/TLS connection, but it serves purpose as a work-around.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I had an issue with this as well. It seems the site will not redirect and force SSL to a user, so I began manually typing "https://arachnoboards.com" into the browser address bar. Eventually chrome will remember this is your preference.

Not an ideal solution, as the site should take unencrypted HTTP traffic and force it to use a SSL/TLS connection, but it serves purpose as a work-around.
There is browser extension called HTTPS Everywhere that can do this for you.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Expecting a totally secure public forum website is akin to expecting politicians to not tell lies. Just safelist AB and don't post/expose sensitive info. Use a burner email address if that is a concern.

FWIW, I have no problems on multiple platforms. If I was the OP, I would be doing a deep scan for Trojans, malware, viruses, (with fresh definitions) and updating to the latest OS/browser versions. Sounds like my in-laws...

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron

On my phone, I get hit with pop ups left right and center, to the point where I only bother checking on my PC now. Any explanation for all these issues?
I can't get AB to work on chrome I log in and go to post something and have to log in again it logs me out every time I go to another page

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Interesting...it loads quite fast on my phone. I'm running the latest iOS on an Apple X model.

I don't get any pop ups. Are the pop ups adverts? If so, do you have a pop up blocker? I use them with both Safari and FireFox- no issues.

No issues on my PC with FF, but I also run blockers too.

What are you using?

Honestly, I wish the site would go back to TapaTalk, it's SOOO much faster.

Ironic since it is also one of the largest malware/adware spreading browsers.
Agreed, I would never ever use Chrome, it's a security nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I haven't done anything different and all the issues seem to have subsided, its almost as if the forum just runs slower every now and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.