AAAAHHH ANTS

Kylegoryan

Arachnopeon
I have a phlogius crassipes (4mo) on the brink of molting. Tonight ants got into the enclosure and I had to destroy its molting mat etc to rescue it. Could the stress of this situation kill my specimen??

PSA The ants got in through the bag of sphagnum moss I have I did not check it before I placed in enclosure, did not expect it to happen however the whole situation was only about 3 minutes long

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I have a phlogius crassipes (4mo) on the brink of molting. Tonight ants got into the enclosure and I had to destroy its molting mat etc to rescue it. Could the stress of this situation kill my specimen??
If it hadn’t already flipped and wasn’t in the process of molting, i’d think not. You didn’t even touch the spider?

Kylegoryan

Arachnopeon
If it hadn’t already flipped and wasn’t in the process of molting, i’d think not. You didn’t even touch the spider?
no, I tipped the container on its side and let it crawl into a capture cup, I then removed all the ands with my hands and took a thin layer of substrate out of original container, just way too worried as I have lost 3 to ants already and I felt bad for destroying my little ones home :(

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I don't think you harmed the T with the way you described the transfer.

I'd put it in a different container with brand new sub.

As for defending against ants, clean the trails with vinegar to destroy the pheromones. You can also put your enclosures in a shallow pan of water to create a moat, or put a barrier around the outside of the enclosure below the lowest vent holes so the ants can't crawl up it. Vaseline, fluon, or a mix of baby powder and rubbing alcohol are good ant barriers. For more info on ant barriers it might be a good idea to check out some ant keeping forums. Know thy enemy :pompous: