Aaaah!!! Bugkillers.....

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
....my nemesis, my wife has betrayed me.

Anyway, my wife called the exterminators 'cause she thinks we have too many bugs (besides the ones in terrariums). I thik it's normal one here or there but roaches in the silverware is a gross idea.

Anyway (again), we asked how it would affect our critters and they said that they would use a spray outside and some gel for the inside of the house, which wouldn't be harmful unless we let our spiders out to roam around (we don't). Does anyone have experience with this and should I believe them or should I sick the dogs on them when they arrive?

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Erk.
I don't know if I would trust that honestly.
If they put it in writting maybe. If they put it in writting that they would replace your collection if they screwed up and were wrong then mybe.
Other then that.
Bug killers,,, T's....
(shudders)

Maybe you can relocate the collection While the work is being done then clean very good afterwards?

Do they say you have to remove any of your pets from the house During the operation?
Or that You have to be removed?

Cause if they say you need to remove other animals and such I would think it would be worse for your T's.
Whatever you do Get It In Writting.
Something to back you up in case they are Very Tragicly Wrong.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You could seal the T room door with painters plastic and 2" masking tape. Use 1 mill plastic, its really thin. You should cover the air vent in the room also. Just a thought..:)

Ernie

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone....anyone.....buellar....

I'd like more info. Let's just say you were in this predicament, what would you do?

I thought about relocating my collection but for how long? Should I just trust the guy (he did tell me a good place to look for wild T's, scorpions & centipedes). Even if something does go wrong and I get a refund like Nixy suggested.....those are my babies, you know what I mean?

If several of you think this is a bad idea I guess I could just grow a set and tell my wife no..........maybe :8o .

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
doesnt sound good at all Blackaciddevil

I will tell you that tarantulas are EXTREMELEY sensitive to pesticides and you can lose an entire collection if they are exposed to these chemicals.I am not really sure to what to tell you in your situation.It might be neccessary for you to remove your entire spider collection to a seperate location for at least 2 weeks after the spraying in order to preserve their lifes...I know that is not a great solution but it is all I can suggest at the time - pesticides and tarantulas do NOT mix at all buddy! I wish you the best and encourage you to err on the side of caution where your collection is concerned !!!!!!!!!!!
The Spider Hunter

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Even if something does go wrong and I get a refund like Nixy suggested.....those are my babies, you know what I mean?
I hear you there. Pets aren't just replaceable. I wouldn't trust it either, why not just cancel the appointment and spray Raid at your own discretion. That way, you can control where it goes, when it goes there, and how much goes, and you can protect your t's accordingly. No money in the world would replace my t's, and I know you probably feel that way too.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would not worry so much. The gel is a bait, that when the roach eats it, they die. The only way that would effect your pets, is if they ate the gel, or ate a roach that ate the gel. If they are using a residual spray outside, just keep your windows closed for the day, and do not feed your pets insects that could have been exposed to the spray. 99% of pest control companies no longer use the old school method of just indiscriminatingly spraying everything and everywhere. Also, it is a good idea to let the pros do it. They are doing you a service, so they will listen to what you have to say, and your concerns, if they told you not worry, than most likely you do not have to worry.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
we actually just got through telling the management of our apartments we do not want the yearly pesticide treatment, because im allergic to it (evil grin). they dont allow terrarium pets here so i had to trick them.;P

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Anyone....anyone.....buellar....

Originally posted by blackacidevil
I'd like more info. Let's just say you were in this predicament, what would you do?
If several of you think this is a bad idea I guess I could just grow a set and tell my wife no..........maybe :8o .
no way I would want any pesticides around my home. get a tokay gecko and let it loose in the house, you will probably only see the gecko's feces and not the gecko. I let one loose in my enclosed garage and I never see the gecko, just the feces, I have to keep a top on the cricket bin so it does not eat all my crickets though. you could use boric acid in the house also, harmless to the t's.
Ed