A walk with Psalmopeus

Vayu Son

Old Timer
My female P.cambridgei that ive been working with since the 1/2" mark. How shes grown.

There are no known existing bite reports on this species therefore I have no reference of their venom. The genus Psalmopeus is, however, a notoriously skiddish and defensive species. Handling of any form or kind as seen here is not recommended by the members of arachnopets.com

-V

Attachments

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
i want one bad
i dont know how you held her tho.the ones i have seen are as fast as lightning very nice pics

Dafne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great T and great pics :)
I have got P. cambridgei as well. Mine is about 2" now :) I really enjoy watching him, especially in the night :)

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I always think this is such an attractive species, with its para-military coloring!

Thanks to the title of your thread, that old hymn, "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" is now going through my head =D

Joy

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
ya they are amazing looking spiders. I just bought one today that is about 6" she is waiting for her new home in a little container. Great pics, i wish I could work up the nerve to hold my Trinidad or even the dreader suntiger i own that is faster then lightning itself :?

peace

TheDon

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I'm going to have to get another. Mine turned out to be male, I sent him off for a breeding loan, and he promptly got munched!

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Ouch that sux... I would be kinda ticked if someone let my T get eaten. Yes I know that it happens but it would be kinda sh!tty if it happened.

TheDon

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awsome T, my is about 6" right now.One of my fav. Genus.
Doug

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nice pics!!!
ah i can't wait for my P's to get bigger :)

sweet shots!
later
dave

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheDon
Ouch that sux... I would be kinda ticked if someone let my T get eaten. Yes I know that it happens but it would be kinda sh!tty if it happened.

TheDon
I feel the opposite way, after having bred quite a few spiders.
I EXPECT the male to get munched, after all, they manage to do it in nature all the time. There is no way to prevent it sometimes. I would not EVER send a male off, expecting him to come back. That doesn't mean I don't feel bad! But I feel bad as soon as they molt, since it means I'll be sending them away ;)

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great looking T, nice pics also. That one is on the top of my list.

The Don- Where did you get your new P. cambridgei at?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I find it kind of rare for the Males to get eaten in captivity.

of course, thats just my view on it, but from all the people i talk to and all the breeding reports i read, the males are really good at making a hasty retreat... ya know, the 'drum-and-run' method =D

plus i think that most males get eaten BEFORE mating.
usually i hear from someone/read a report that says "well, we put him in there and it was a lost cause from minute 1"...

of course theres always the chance....And it's going to happen occasionally. i just think its more likely that the mating goes succesful!

just my little opinion. :)

peace
dave

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
out of all the males I've sent off on breeding loans, only 1 has not gotten munched. I realize that that is a small sample, but I've also had loaner males eaten as well.
However, I've also gotten eggsacs from all the females that munched the males...so...go figure...

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it's def. worth it if you get an eggsac.
hey, its worth it even if not.

might as well try to get the male around to the fuzzy ladies... what, with the impending doom and all :)

peace
dave