A very very long premolt..

PolarisTR

Arachnopeon
(Warning: I'm still a Tarantula noob)

On December 10th I noticed my Juvi B.smithi not eating and assumed a premolt was imminent.

178 days, or 6 months later I noticed her making her web mat and flipping herself over. FINALLY!!!!! I was getting worried lol

I know Rosehairs can go a long time without eating, and I've heard of year long molts, especially in older species, but have you had any longer premolts?

If image doesn't work - http://imgur.com/a/tybOT

Edit: She has had a successful molt and is prettier than ever

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Never had a T in pre - moult as long as you've described, the longest was around 6 - 8 weeks, no wonder you were getting worried, glad she moulted successfully, lovely with their new clothes, such striking colours after moulting. Post a photo as soon as you can in all her splendour.

kooky

Arachnosquire
i have a B.Boehmei that i have had since november. She never ate once in my care and moulted about a month a go. Had her first superworm since then. mine was about 5 month premoult. She never flicked hairs so i had no idea she was even in premoult, i just assumed she wasnt hungry, she was fat and i never thought to feed her till she slimmed down anyway haha

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
My t stirmi was the longest. She was in premolt pretty much when I got her in october through December when she molted. she ate, but not like normal. Then she stayed in her hide and didn't eat for over a month.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
have you had any longer premolts?
My elderly female Avicularia avicularia fasted for 1 year, 1 month, and 2 days before molting. (She molted again less than 10 months later after a much shorter fast.)