A very sad day

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
As of this morning, I'm certain that my MF C. cyaneopubescens has passed. The cause is entirely unknown.

As many of you know, I tried pairing her with a MM three months ago. She was entirely unresponsive, but otherwise behaving normally. She started refusing food almost immediately after the first attempt. A few more attempts were unsuccessful, with her entirely ignoring the male every time. She began to contort herself in strange positions, although she would still move around the enclosure. I assumed premolt, as this is common behavior. What isn't common is how long it went on - she continued this behavior up until the beginning of October. She was still very much responsive, as she would either scurry or throw a threat when touched with a straw.

I came home from a week's vacation last night to find her in another strange position, but I just went to bed as this was par for the course at this point. This morning, she's in the exact same position and completely unresponsive. She is limp and in a strange position, although not in a death curl. I'm going to leave her be for the next couple days on the slim chance that she's doing an upright molt, but I have no hope at this point. Even tarantulas in the process of molting have some kind of response, and she has none. She must have very, very recently died as her abdomen is not shriveled in the slightest.

I'm quite upset. Not just because of the pairing attempt... honestly, I couldn't care much less about that at this point. This was my second spider and my first sling. I raised her from a 2i, and to have an unexplained death is very disheartening.

Any speculation on what could have happened is welcome.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I can provide no guess as to what is causing this, just wanted to say my heart goes out to you.
Best of luck in the following days.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
That's the worst, when its one you raised from a sling. Sorry Budd :(

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
As of this morning, I'm certain that my MF C. cyaneopubescens has passed. The cause is entirely unknown.

As many of you know, I tried pairing her with a MM three months ago. She was entirely unresponsive, but otherwise behaving normally. She started refusing food almost immediately after the first attempt. A few more attempts were unsuccessful, with her entirely ignoring the male every time. She began to contort herself in strange positions, although she would still move around the enclosure. I assumed premolt, as this is common behavior. What isn't common is how long it went on - she continued this behavior up until the beginning of October. She was still very much responsive, as she would either scurry or throw a threat when touched with a straw.

I came home from a week's vacation last night to find her in another strange position, but I just went to bed as this was par for the course at this point. This morning, she's in the exact same position and completely unresponsive. She is limp and in a strange position, although not in a death curl. I'm going to leave her be for the next couple days on the slim chance that she's doing an upright molt, but I have no hope at this point. Even tarantulas in the process of molting have some kind of response, and she has none. She must have very, very recently died as her abdomen is not shriveled in the slightest.

I'm quite upset. Not just because of the pairing attempt... honestly, I couldn't care much less about that at this point. This was my second spider and my first sling. I raised her from a 2i, and to have an unexplained death is very disheartening.

Any speculation on what could have happened is welcome.
Sorry, Eulers.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My MM GBB that I raised from 1/4" is on his way out too. I feel ur pain and my heart goes out to u.terribleto lose such a beautiful spider

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm really sorry to hear this, man :-/

But bit of a solace, you still have a potentially Goddess near you, enough for give to every man the necessary and needed strenght & stamina for continue the struggle u_u

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Second time that I have heard of unexplained GBB death today.. Very sad.

Condolences

MeAndMyRosie

Arachnopeon
I am very sorry to hear that...keep the faith Eulers
These little guys are like family..so very precious and fragile

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Sorry about your loss - I hope it is just something unusual and she somehow can be alive and recover.

TarantuLover81

Arachnosquire
Very sorry for your loss. My 4yo B. Smithi is doing something similar. A few months ago I thought she was in premolt but she's been very inactive and sluggish for a few months. She will stay in the exact same place and position for weeks and refuses food when she was voracious eater before. Best wishes to you.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Sorry to hear that man, it's such a shame.

As for cause the only logical thing I can think of would have to be that the male introduced something, wether it be a contaminants or something. If she was behaving normally before pairing attempts and started degrading immediately after that's the only thing that makes sense

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thanks all for the condolences. I had her on her back attempting to water her overnight to no avail. If nothing has changed, I'm going to put her in the freezer tonight.

As for cause the only logical thing I can think of would have to be that the male introduced something, wether it be a contaminants or something. If she was behaving normally before pairing attempts and started degrading immediately after that's the only thing that makes sense
The thing is that the male is still perfectly fine. No issues with him whatsoever. Anything that would have affected her that much would have certainly affected him.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No ideas on what would have caused it, but it does happen. Just like any living thing, they all don't make it to an an average life expectancy.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Thanks all for the condolences. I had her on her back attempting to water her overnight to no avail. If nothing has changed, I'm going to put her in the freezer tonight.

The thing is that the male is still perfectly fine. No issues with him whatsoever. Anything that would have affected her that much would have certainly affected him.

yeah its a morbid mystery.