a very quick spider

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you are interested in less venomous or US alternatives, check out Homalonychus. I believe Jillian H. Cowles featured them in her wonderful slide show at the 2009 ATS conference.

Me? I'll stick with my Selonops!

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you are interested in less venomous or US alternatives, check out Homalonychus. I believe Jillian H. Cowles featured them in her wonderful slide show at the 2009 ATS conference.

Me? I'll stick with my Selonops!
Wow....those are visually nearly identical to Sicarius spp. !

jakzilla

Arachnopeon
Sicarius aren't really too much to worry about. I mean obviously you don't want to get tagged, but there is absolutely no reason why you ever should

They can't climb glass and they don't show any signs of aggression. If you nudge them (with forceps!), they just play dead, and it's only if you really, really hassle them that they react at all - and then they just explode out of the sand and run away insanely quickly. So, if you keep them in a suitable tank you are totally cool, i'd highly recommend them as they are a really fascinating species - especially as you can keep terrosus communally.

...and I for one don't keep them because they are so highly venomous. I also keep plenty of harmless species, i'm interested in appearance and behaviour not venom.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I keep all sorts and so far,nothing comes close to the apperance or behaviour of S.hahni and I challenge anyone to prove me wrong (how many 6 eyed crab spiders do you know of ) ;) ?
You really have to see it at first hand to believe it...... the speed,the way it buries itself and the way it dispatches it's prey....and very,very quickly too I might add.
I do agree that there is nothing that should worry you about keeping this species after taking the necessary precautions.I think they are a lot safer than any of my pokies or OW's for instance (behaviour wise not venom wise of course)
You have to unpack it though and that is a little bit scary.
I also sold one and packing them is a lot easier....honest ;).

Last edited:

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow....those are visually nearly identical to Sicarius spp. !
Except they have straight rather than crab like legs... But yes, they are rather similar. :p

They are also much more highly adapted to running than they are to sitting in wait(like Sicarius). It is a shame they dont bury themselves more...all they really do is make a depression for their body and sink the legs in a bit. Also, it is worth noting that Homalonychus can climb glass/plastic and Sicarius can not.

myles756

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Haha

hey paul on that helmet I saw Modern Warfare 2 what is your gametag? nice spider by the way.:clap:

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hey paul on that helmet I saw Modern Warfare 2 what is your gametag? nice spider by the way.:clap:
spit986
The platform I use is pc though

I will post a video soon of my one hunting and burying itself......you need to see it guys......wow ;)
I would also say that with Sicarius,so far they have not been shown to climb glass but how long have these bad boys been in the hobby to know everything about them ?

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i would love to have one, but as long as it didnt get loose :D

edit: didnt see what others said of the venom, nevermind :p