a very quick spider

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just put a crix in for this girl.
She tagged it and it was dead within 20 seconds....she then went back a few minutes later to tuck in.
A very creepy spider.
Hope you like :)

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Which species? Looks vicious.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's a Sicarius hahni.

So, how often do you handle her?

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Six-eyed sand spider(Venom beat me and I'm pretty sure he was kidding). This is an arachnid I cross the line with. Awesome little guy though.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I draw the line at handling something that WILL kill me for sure even though there does not seem to be any aggression at all from this species.
With everything else I have handled,there has always been a very good chance I would survive if things went wrong :D
That's what venom meant ;)

For those not familiar with hahni.
http://www.vincelewis.net/deadlyspider.html

Last edited:

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Reminds me of my selenopid crabspiders from Arizona. When I pick up their containers they completely freak out, running up the walls and across the lid like gravity doesn't exist!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I draw the line at handling something that WILL kill me for sure even though there does not seem to be any aggression at all from this species.
With everything else I have handled,there has always been a very good chance I would survive if things went wrong :D
That's what venom meant ;)

For those not familiar with hahni.
http://www.vincelewis.net/deadlyspider.html

I really wonder why in the heck would you keep something like that when you have thousands of harmless spiders.
Theres no reason besides to say that you keep a deadly animal. Period.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I love these guys! If i didn't have kids and they weren't so deadly, I'd definitely have one. They freak me out but the way they dig the sand and move is amazing.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really wonder why in the heck would you keep something like that when you have thousands of harmless spiders.
Theres no reason besides to say that you keep a deadly animal. Period.
They have a very unique and interesting hunting strategy, not to mention appearance. How many other spiders pop out of the sand like a landmine? That in itself makes them a species desirable to keep, apart from their venomous significance.

Last edited:

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Exactly.....why do people assume that just because somebody keeps a potent or medically signifigant species that thats why they keep them? I want to keep Sicarious regardless of how venomous they are......they're just an awesome spider because of physiology and behavior.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Exactly.....why do people assume that just because somebody keeps a potent or medically signifigant species that thats why they keep them? I want to keep Sicarious regardless of how venomous they are......they're just an awesome spider because of physiology and behavior.
Because sadly and honestly IN 99% of the times, thats the only reason.
You cant seriously and honestly deny that.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In many cases, outside of the hardcore hobbyists....you're right. But the majority of people on this board who are involved much deeper in the hobby, I think you'd be wrong.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In many cases, outside of the hardcore hobbyists....you're right. But the majority of people on this board who are involved much deeper in the hobby, I think you'd be wrong.
I would seriously keep Sicarius just to have explodin' sand spiders. Seriously...how cool is that!?

[YOUTUBE]PuPStWFnHmY[/YOUTUBE]

Of course, I would do it with the knowledge that my pet was astronomically toxic, and that I needed to practice the utmost of caution...or else.

Last edited:

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a small child, so no hots at my house, but if they weren't hot - OMG cool spider!

RAZZBERRY

Arachnopeon
Wow this spider is amazing...
I wish I could have one, but just with out its venom lol
Is there any other spiders that do what this spider does in the sand that I could get my hands on?

Mvskokee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would seriously keep Sicarius just to have explodin' sand spiders. Seriously...how cool is that!?

[YOUTUBE]PuPStWFnHmY[/YOUTUBE]

Of course, I would do it with the knowledge that my pet was astronomically toxic, and that I needed to practice the utmost of caution...or else.

Wow awesome video. Sucks its so potent

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow this spider is amazing...
I wish I could have one, but just with out its venom lol
Is there any other spiders that do what this spider does in the sand that I could get my hands on?
There are a few of the Sicarius family .......eg terrosus but although I don't think the venom is as potent as hahni,you still would not want to get tagged by it.
Remember though,these can't climb glass so as long as you use your head when housing them,I can't see any problems.
They are also not aggressive at all.
The point about only keeping them because of the venom is untrue.
I mean,how many people have actually heard of these anyway ?
It is not as if you can go bragging down the local bar.
They would all look at you rather strangely......sicarius who.....lol