A. versicolour life span

Octagon

Arachnoperson
Hi all, I have two questions about A. versicolour, if I may please. First, what is the approximate age range during which the males generally mature? Second, what is the approximate average lifespan for both males and females?

Mine, which I raised from a sling, died last year at the age of 8 and I have been wondering if that was "normal". He/she was not a mature male; beyond that, I did not know the sex but assumed female. My understanding is that arboreals don't generally live as long as terrestrials but am not sure of the more precise numbers. Thanks.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Honestly there are no precise numbers. Males mature anywhere from 1-3 years. I'm not sure about the other ranges hopefully someone else will chime in. Their growth and ultimately their death depends on temperature and feeding.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Females 8-10 yr varies by temps and freq of feeding.

Octagon

Arachnoperson
Honestly there are no precise numbers. Males mature anywhere from 1-3 years. I'm not sure about the other ranges hopefully someone else will chime in. Their growth and ultimately their death depends on temperature and feeding.
Thanks, good to know.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks, much appreciated. I am glad my girl didn't go prematurely.

Why, I wonder, are arboreals shorter-lived than terrestrials?
Wish I knew, esp because they tend to have smaller sacs too. The reproduction trend in nature is animals that have long lives produce less progeny, and short lived animals produce more. I sure would like to see a sac of 1,000 A. minatrix! Oh well!

cold blood

Staff member
I've raised several males to maturity, every one matured in right about a year.

cold blood

Staff member
What are your temperatures and feeding like?
Winters are a consistent 80...summers fluctuate with the weather...anywhere between 72 and 92.

Feed every 3-5 days for those...my current ones are being fed every 4-7 days and are growing at the same basic rate.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Winters are a consistent 80...summers fluctuate with the weather...anywhere between 72 and 92.

Feed every 3-5 days for those...my current ones are being fed every 4-7 days and are growing at the same basic rate.
Wow those temperatures are definitely the culprit.