A.versicolor web tube

curious juan

Arachnopeon
Hello again. So, I've just transferred my 2" A.versicolor into its new enclosure. It has started to build its silk tube in her new home. But instead of making it among the artificial foliage, it spun its web on the wall of the container, using some of the foliage as anchor points. What could be the reason for this behavior? Is this a normal habit for Avicularias? IMG_20160718_071541.jpg

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Hmm my versicolors abdomen has blue markings where yours has orange, they're about the same size. Maybe @cold blood is on to something?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Lovely T and the web looked normal to me. I did google images and saw a couple A versi slings with lighter peach on rump -- but that is assuming they were ID'ed correctly.
Curious now.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That is a versi I think. Going from blue to adult colours they look like this. Mine went from electric blue all over to blue legs and carapace with blue and orange abdomen.

cold blood

Staff member
That is a versi I think. Going from blue to adult colours they look like this. Mine went from electric blue all over to blue legs and carapace with blue and orange abdomen.
They can vary, but I have never seen that much orange on a rump of a versi, usually its relegated to the base of the rump. Then again, as always, cameras can play tricks, but every one I've had has had a much darker rump with vivid purples at the back of a darker rump. Mine of the same size has just undergone that color change, it looks nothing like this t and never did at any point....again, could easily be versi, just looks so different to me.

curious juan

Arachnopeon
Sorry for the crappy photo. It is not orange but rather bluish tinge with an intertwined reddish/pinkish color. Here is another pic of her. IMG_20160711_193419.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It looks like the first photo just managed to pick up a lot of orange for some reason. This new picture looks much more like a versicolor than the first. Beautiful T by the way, very healthy looking!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is an excellent example of why we stress to people not to ID Ts, esp Avics, from a digital image, especially a SINGLE picture.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Different Avics will build their webs in different ways and places for their own inscrutable reasons. They'll also sometimes change where they web after a molt. My A. versi first built her tube like yours, along the side but then when she molted she abandoned that tube and built a new one across the enclosure up at the top. *shrug*