A versicolor slings

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello All,
I would like to know why do I keep on loosing my slings?

I keep them in small cups with a few ventilation holes and humid substrate.

I have lost 4 out of 10.
any advise on how to keep these guys when this little???

thanks
F

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would not keep them in cups rather small vials. They need room to climb, build webbed home and get comfortable. I would also keep them on fresh moist coconut fiber and mist every other day. Obviously keep them out of the sun and make sure temps. never reach high than 80 degrees.

That's how I keep mine and I have yet to loose one. Hope this helps! By the way, the smaller the spiderling the more sensitive and less hardy they are. As you no doubt have read, they need high humidity and lots of ventilation. This can be a challenge and will inevitably take a few extra minutes out of your day but they're definitely worth it. Friendly, color t's! Gotta love 'em!

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
they need high humidity and lots of ventilation. This can be a challenge and will inevitably take a few extra minutes out of your day but they're definitely worth it. Friendly, color t's! Gotta love 'em!
Definitely a major problem with this species, particularly when young, is the lack of adequate ventilation. Many keeper keep them damp instead of moist which encourages prolific bacteria, and that's certainly a problem, but from my experience ventilation is too often overlooked. Our local community has addressed this and versi deaths have slowed right down.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
lots of ventilation.
This can't be emphasized enough.
I'm not sure I agree on the humidity though. They are very thirsty spiders. Giving them to drink every other day is vital in my experience. High humidity and low ventilation has killed many of mine, in contrast none have died in good ventilation and low humidity, provided they get to drink basically as much as they want.

But I'm far from saying I have the only working receipe, what you do, do it on your own risk. versis just are a bit tricky.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
that has worked for me as well. i keep them nearly dry and with lots of ventilaion - so fungi and bacteria don't spread. but i offer them water every other day or at least 2-3 times a week (waterdrops or slight misting on the walls). in five years, i have lost 1 avicularia sling, and that one died during molting.

versiphil

Arachnopeon
Hi,

best ventilation you get, when you cover in with nylons. I do so, an lost only a few spids. But that was natural selection...
You dont even need to open for spraying water....

greets
Sascha

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I housed mine in an old parm cheese container that I perf with a hot trim nail.
Used vermiculite for substrate and a piece of ivy decor to web on. Also added screen to half the lid for more ventilation. I kept all my slings in my bathroom where the steam from two showers a day would form condensation on the walls of the containers and the room is around 75 F. I dunno if this mattered but I felt it was benificial to them:? Worked for me good luck :D

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good info guys. I will keep this in mind when I get mine (versicolor & purpurea). I do have an Amazonica Sp, which I keep in a tall tupperware container that has alot of holes on the top of th lid and one layer of holes near the lid on the side. So far so good. Have been misting twice a week and spray a lil near the webbing so T can drink.