A.versicolor sling

bjornnn

Arachnopeon
I am recieving an Avicularia versicolor spiderling tomorrow in the post :) . If anyone has any tips/care advise it would be much appreciated. Particularly with regards to monitoring the humidity and temperature, as I cant work out how to do this inside such a small container (pill bottle). Cheers

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am recieving an Avicularia versicolor spiderling tomorrow in the post :) . If anyone has any tips/care advise it would be much appreciated. Particularly with regards to monitoring the humidity and temperature, as I cant work out how to do this inside such a small container (pill bottle). Cheers
If you do a search of the forums, you will have no trouble finding this information.

Good luck!

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
you need to make sure that it gets at least two uses of the search function a day. (replace search function with misting and cross ventilation){D

VinceG

Arachnobaron
Like Danny said, a lot of ventillation and humidity is the key with Avicularia spiderlings.

razor244

Arachnopeon
everyone is looking for something to write about on these forums( myself included) . rather then take the time to tell someone to use the search function, why not just answer thier question ?

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
everyone is looking for something to write about on these forums( myself included) . rather then take the time to tell someone to use the search function, why not just answer thier question ?
The search function is there for a reason: so that people don't have to keep replying to the same questions over and over and over; and so people don't even have to ASK the same questions. They can search for the information they want, and bam, it's likely there.

You're a sad little tosspot of a troll, aye?

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Umm, all I really did was left it in the vial it was shipped in. Put between 1/4" and 1/2" of substrate with a little piece of moss in the center to climb on. For misting, it's not too terribly hard. Just dribble a little down the side until the top layer of substrate is good and moist.

After it dries out or there is no more humidity build up on the side of the vial, repeat. It's not bad if it dries out, but don't let it be completely dry for much more than a week.

I also heard from the person I got mine from that he never misted the enclosures until they were in premolt and he has never lost one.

(I don't like the search function, it scares me... If you think about it, once everything has been answered what will we talk about???) :D

Some basic things like, what substrate do I use are pretty obvious though... But some questions are good to ask again and again, keeps us on our toes!!!

mercury904

Arachnopeon
Umm, all I really did was left it in the vial it was shipped in. Put between 1/4" and 1/2" of substrate with a little piece of moss in the center to climb on. For misting, it's not too terribly hard. Just dribble a little down the side until the top layer of substrate is good and moist.

After it dries out or there is no more humidity build up on the side of the vial, repeat. It's not bad if it dries out, but don't let it be completely dry for much more than a week.

I also heard from the person I got mine from that he never misted the enclosures until they were in premolt and he has never lost one.

(I don't like the search function, it scares me... If you think about it, once everything has been answered what will we talk about???) :D

Some basic things like, what substrate do I use are pretty obvious though... But some questions are good to ask again and again, keeps us on our toes!!!
you are in deep trouble if no one answers you within a couple of days,or try to make a way for yourself,this happened to me once before,my versi sling just lasted a week(knock on the wood :wall: ) .sorry i wish i can help but im also a newbee :(

bjornnn

Arachnopeon
:D :D :D :clap: :clap:

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You're a sad little tosspot of a troll, aye?
I see tosspot has become a bit of a trend around here lately :D

As for the baby avic: mist one side of the vial when the water from the previous misting has evaporated. The sling will drink these drops.

Some thinks crossventilation is useless, but I had an avic sling die after taking this advice, so I would make vent holes in the top, and around the vial.

It will want something ti climb on. Snipp off the cotton ends on a q-tip, and prop it up against the wall. It will be sufficient for a small baby.

Use a small amount of substrate, and moisten it slightly once a week.

bjornnn

Arachnopeon

Thanks for this

bjornnn

Arachnopeon
haha I like this forum. Even with the subject of tarantula keeping people love to heat things up {D

bjornnn

Arachnopeon
I see tosspot has become a bit of a trend around here lately :D

As for the baby avic: mist one side of the vial when the water from the previous misting has evaporated. The sling will drink these drops.

Some thinks crossventilation is useless, but I had an avic sling die after taking this advice, so I would make vent holes in the top, and around the vial.

It will want something ti climb on. Snipp off the cotton ends on a q-tip, and prop it up against the wall. It will be sufficient for a small baby.

Use a small amount of substrate, and moisten it slightly once a week.
Expecting my 1.5 - 3 cm sling in the mail any minute now :)
Cheers for the advice

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Anytime! You will surely enjoy it, I love mine, she's such a doll! They also make very neat little hammocks!

bjornnn

Arachnopeon
Anytime! You will surely enjoy it, I love mine, she's such a doll! They also make very neat little hammocks!
Yeah I've seen the tube webs they can make. How old is yours? I also recieved a C.fimbriatus this morning in the post but have stupidly forgotten to get the right substrate and cant find any decent pill bottles to house them in. I'll have to sort it this after noon !

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know how old she is, but I've had her since march.. She's creeping up on 8 cm, was 3 when I got her..

If they're packed properly, it will be alright for a little while :)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is a great thread on caring for an A. versicolor and my answer to the question is a few posts down and even has pictures.;)

One asset of the search function is that you can get many different opinions and care options, so you can decide for yourself how you want to care for your T. Since there is no 'right way' to care for these fascinating creatures, I like having that option. Since most of the people posting these days are newbies themselves(I include myself in this group) getting into the older threads can be very helpful. The advanced search is much more helpful than just a regular search, and searching in only the tarantula section(I stick to Questions and Discussions) will yield better results too. You can even use multiple words in quotes to narrow it down even more(e.g. "versicolor" "care") and then to further narrow it, you can search just thread titles. It takes some wining and dining, but the search function can truly be your best friend. Not that I mind answering questions!:)