A. versicolor sexing help please

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok well this is the last of my three slings mybe 3 for 3 female. I know your out of this one Talkenlate but for all you Avic experts whats your opinion on this little one:D Oh and getting better at the pin and pinch got this one right away.
Well here are the pics

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great Talkenlate I hope your right but Hey cedrik why do you say unsexable spider:? I have no clue on how to sex a T but just wondering why the statement in your reply:D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some people thing ventral sexing can't be done.

But it can be. I pissed off a lot of dealers at shows back in the day by sexing out females in unsexed stock at shows, and every one of the people I did it for got back to me and let me know it was female.
It takes practice, but once you know what you are looking for and the differences it can be done.

Pokies and Avics are a pain in the butt I dont fare to well with sexing those. But your good pics make it easier.

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh I see well that gives you a pretty good track record then. Glad to hear you ruled in my favor of female on all three of my slings. But when can they be proven female by the molt? Because I have saved all the molts and the abdomens are always pretty tore up but they were pretty small when I got em. They have all gone through 4-5 molts under my care so far.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not to sound mean or anything, but I have no idea how you can sex that avic Ryan. THe pics are good in general, but not for sexing, and it's still quite small to get a good guess in.

I also vote, unsexable, atleast for now.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh I see well that gives you a pretty good track record then. Glad to hear you ruled in my favor of female on all three of my slings. But when can they be proven female by the molt? Because I have saved all the molts and the abdomens are always pretty tore up but they were pretty small when I got em. They have all gone through 4-5 molts under my care so far.
To sex them with a molt you are going to have to get the skin out fairly quickly to prevent it from getting eaten.
But the good news is the bigger they get the easier it gets to unfold the abdomen even if its scrunched up a little.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Have a read and look through this thread(http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=54718&highlight=sexing+for+dummies), you should be able to sex them via molt their next molt. Also, don't get too excited over supposeably having 3 females, there is still a possibility of them turning out male. Enjoy it, but don't guarantee it, until you have a sexable molt.

Ryan, if all of these turn out female by your skill or mere luck, I will :worship: to you as the vent. sexing king. Until then, I disagree. :D

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree Novak and thanx for the link :D
It has been fun raising these T's so far and watching them grow and morph into new colorations. And now with them being close to sexable age just another fun factor of keeping and raising these spectacular animals. And thanx to this forum and all the experianced experts to help the new guys like myself along the way just rocks.
I can feel the itch for a new T commin on now!!:razz: gonna get a Pokey yeah baby or mabe 2 or 3 :razz: LOL

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree Novak and thanx for the link :D
It has been fun raising these T's so far and watching them grow and morph into new colorations. And now with them being close to sexable age just another fun factor of keeping and raising these spectacular animals. And thanx to this forum and all the experianced experts to help the new guys like myself along the way just rocks.
I can feel the itch for a new T commin on now!!:razz: gonna get a Pokey yeah baby or mabe 2 or 3 :razz: LOL
Raising slings to adults never gets old, it is far more interesting and fun that way. I felt the exact same way a year or so back, I was glad I had found this forum. It has helped alot, and I still learn new things everyday.

Or maybe 10 or 20 more..:p

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
The only thing you can deduce from those pics are there doesn't seem to be evidence of male. Which does not mean its female for sure.

I'd say female, but pics like that can not be definate.

How did you figure it Ryan?

-Sean

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some people thing ventral sexing can't be done.
You can guess, and a guess worth nothing.

But it can be. I pissed off a lot of dealers at shows back in the day by sexing out females in unsexed stock at shows, and every one of the people I did it for got back to me and let me know it was female.
Well you have one chance on two

It takes practice, but once you know what you are looking for and the differences it can be done.
So you say you can 100% sex a spider, without a doubt, by looking at its epigastric on a picture ... woaw ... you are a real expert friend.

Sorry ... epigastric sexing worth nothing. just my opinion

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am not 100% sure. I'm about 65% sure male... Avics and Poecs arent me though.

Austin

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My opinion, i don't think you should be handlin them like that. Not very safe, you could end up hurtin it or yourself. As for the sex, unsure, only pic #2 looks female. JMO

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i don't see evidence of a male as well - so about 70% sure it's a female. at that size, you can sex avics np, but it's a pain in the butt to do it ventrally...

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tunebeat your right thats your opoinion but it is safe for both you and the T when performed correctly. :D I have kept reptiles and critters for 20years and the saftey and care of my animals are at thetop on my list{D

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
So you say you can 100% sex a spider, without a doubt, by looking at its epigastric on a picture ... woaw ... you are a real expert friend.

Cedrik I understand where you are coming from, but I don't understand how you can say that ventral sexing is worthless. Even Rick West has a guide on how to ventral sex on his site. Is he lying? I have used this method to sex many of my spiders, confirming with a moult. I have been right 90% of the time. I had one that I thought was a female, but it was very hairy in the epigastric region and that one I got wrong. But almost every other spider I have tried this method with has been a correct guess.

Sexing via a picture however is a different story. The spider can look male or female depending on the angle the picture is taken at, so I don't offer my opinion too often as it is plain guesswork unless it is one of those easy to tell species.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have used this method to sex many of my spiders, confirming with a moult.

Then why bother guessing when you have to confirm with an exuvium anyway ...

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You can guess, and a guess worth nothing.

Well you have one chance on two

rick west says its very dependible IF you know what your looking for and can see it well