A. versicolor eats a huge roach [Video]

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here is a video I did last night of an Avicularia versicolor eating a huge cockroach. You can see how it deftly positioned itself on the plastic wall so as not to provide any traction/foodholds to the roach. The ability of the spider to hold onto this smooth surface while fighting is truly impressive. The two minute video really picks up after the first 60 seconds (jump ahead if you like. also, if this page is taking forever to load on AB, like it is for me, here is a direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_BYaV3anCs )

[YOUTUBE]1_BYaV3anCs[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bengal21

Arachnopeon
What are the little guys crawling around on the screen that that cage is sitting on top of?

Nice T btw.

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why don't you give her something for climbing,as you know she is an arboreal species.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why don't you give her something for climbing,as you know she is an arboreal species.
I was thinking the same thing, until I noticed there was also no water dish and only a thin layer of substrate in the horizontally oriented KK. My guess is that it was a temporary enclosure for the feeding video.

peterock44

Arachnopeon
those look like ants running around on the screen of the bottom cage. if they are ants i would take care of them asap, they have been known to swarm, attack, and kill slings and small t's.

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Always fun to read comments!

Those are baby mantises in the cage below. In the cage below the mantis cage is a 100 gallon tank with a water dragon at 82 degrees (night temp).

The A. versicolor is one of my son's pets. The tank it lives in isn't nearly so clean, though it's done feeding now and will be transferred back to a cleaned version of its home.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It sure did have to wrestle with it before it finally was subdued. I love seeing them do that on a vertical surface, makes me wish I had that much traction on horizontal surfaces!:)

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I LOVE watching them overpower larger prey while hanging upside-down! Makes me thankful that there aren't any 6' tarantulas running around...