A. Versicolor already escaped!

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha, my 1" A.Versicolor sling arrived at my door today, I put it in its cage, left for work....

Just got a call from my roomate, he said that the sling had somehow escaped from its cage and was sitting on top of the A. Geniculata terrarium.....

Thought it was kind of funny....looks like I need to make SURE its cage is tiny spider-proofed

Anyone else have any escapee spider stories?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha, my 1" A.Versicolor sling arrived at my door today, I put it in its cage, left for work....

Just got a call from my roomate, he said that the sling had somehow escaped from its cage and was sitting on top of the A. Geniculata terrarium.....

Thought it was kind of funny....looks like I need to make SURE its cage is tiny spider-proofed

This is too funny because when I got my new 2 versicolors recently one of them escaped out of the critter keeper and I found him on top of my cricket breeder tank. Thank goodness this guy was a bright vibrate blue because had he been all black I would have probably lost him lol.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tee hee, no kidding at all...the color is probably the only reason my roomate was able to see it. Otherwise, someone in my house would have woken up to a creepy creature crawling on their face....even I think that would be pretty nightmarish.

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
At that size I think the versicolor can fit between the little plastic ventilation bars.... At one inch, a deli cup may be advisable :)

Peace

Chris

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, apparently its able to sqeeze thru ridiculously tiny spaces....

I will definately do some more cage modification the second I get home

At 1", will I need to feed it pinhead crickets or just small ones?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, apparently its able to sqeeze thru ridiculously tiny spaces....

I will definately do some more cage modification the second I get home

At 1", will I need to feed it pinhead crickets or just small ones?
my one itcher eats small crickers the ones that look softer than the adults.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had a sub-adult GBB that escaped from one of them plastic blue hagen terrarrium type things with those flip lids that just kinda snap down. I had gotten the largest type available originally for some baby treefrogs. Once the spider was large enough I moved him to it - it was a perfect spider setup. I kept the cage sitting on the head board of the bed. All was well for a few months. Never thought the spider could be strong enough to actually pop the lid as there wasn't space for any good leverage. One night went to feed him, and while the lid looked closed I noticed that it wasn't snapped down. Opened it up and looked around and yup.. he was gone. I always keep the room door closed, so I knew he was in the room somewhere. Spent a few hours before finally finding him under the bed holed up inside an empty 35mm film box with some left over cricket mush balls. He had that thing webbed up pretty good so he had to have been awol for a good week or so. Also dawned on me.... I had thought it odd earlier in the week that I hadn't noticed ANY awol crickets running around that week (i.e. typical escapees from the rough green snake cage) .. now I know why. :D

Later, all I could think of was.. sheesh.. that thing probably crawled all over me in the middle of the night LOL.

He was NOT happy to go back into his cage LOL. Actually watched him go right up and pop the lid. So, I got the world's best fix-it-all... DUCT TAPE. I duct-taped that lid down and that spider wasn't going anywhere anymore. He spent an entire week trying to pop that lid before finally giving up.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a sub-adult GBB that escaped from one of them plastic blue hagen terrarrium type things with those flip lids that just kinda snap down. I had gotten the largest type available originally for some baby treefrogs. Once the spider was large enough I moved him to it - it was a perfect spider setup. I kept the cage sitting on the head board of the bed. All was well for a few months. Never thought the spider could be strong enough to actually pop the lid as there wasn't space for any good leverage. One night went to feed him, and while the lid looked closed I noticed that it wasn't snapped down. Opened it up and looked around and yup.. he was gone. I always keep the room door closed, so I knew he was in the room somewhere. Spent a few hours before finally finding him under the bed holed up inside an empty 35mm film box with some left over cricket mush balls. He had that thing webbed up pretty good so he had to have been awol for a good week or so. Also dawned on me.... I had thought it odd earlier in the week that I hadn't noticed ANY awol crickets running around that week (i.e. typical escapees from the rough green snake cage) .. now I know why. :D

Later, all I could think of was.. sheesh.. that thing probably crawled all over me in the middle of the night LOL.

He was NOT happy to go back into his cage LOL. Actually watched him go right up and pop the lid. So, I got the world's best fix-it-all... DUCT TAPE. I duct-taped that lid down and that spider wasn't going anywhere anymore. He spent an entire week trying to pop that lid before finally giving up.
That's too funny, he probably thought he was being clever....