A true wolf spider???? (pics)

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Can some of you look at these pics, and tell me if this is a true wolf spider?
I am having a hard time recognizing the species. I thought I had it figured out, but now I am doubting myself.

I caught this one outside back in Oct. 05. I guess I will let it go in the spring, when it gets a bit warmer. It has been very entertaining, and it basically teleports!

BTW, her name is Bandit :D Looks like she has a little mask on over her eyes!

Attachments

Last edited:

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

donno for sure, a close-up of the eye-section would be highly appreciated to make proof.

From what can be seen on the pics, it might be a Lycosid, but may as well be some kind of Dolomedes (?). Guess some of the us-folks will be able to give some better advise, as they know much more about your native species than i do.

Whatever it is, nice specimen for sure.

Greetings,

Stefan

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the reply!

She is a beauty that is for sure! I love to look at her!

Her eyes look like four on top and four on the bottom. I "think" the 2 middle ones on the top row of eyes are a little larger than the others. But not as large as the Carolina wolf spiders by any chance. I don't think my camera would take any better pics, I can't believe it did that well, that close up. It is like a 1.5 MP maybe :}

Hope to get more ideas :) Thanks!

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi again,

your description fits to what i think i recognize on your pics, if it´s really 4 big middle-eyes in a square, it´s most def no wolf-spider, but something else.

Maybe some Dolomedes species or even another genus, i may not even know. However, you´re straight on the money: it´s a real-beauty no matter what it´s correct name is.

Greetings,

Stefan

P.S. Perhaps you might want to check the threads dealing with the Dolomedes genus, maybe you recognize something...

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dolomedes for sure. Stefan was right. The eye arrangement you described fits to a T. If you can tell me what type of habitat you found it in I might be able to help you get closer to the actual species. If you found it pretty far away from a stream or pond more than likely it is D.tenebrosus. Great looking spider. I love these guys.

peace,
Bobby

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Thanks to both of you :) And the whole time I thought I had a Wolfie on my hands. Do all wolf spiders have the large 2 eyes in the center (top row)?

I love the way her eyes reflect light though, kinda like a blue color. I know if I look closely at night when I am driving, I can see them in the road in front of my head lights. People probably think I am some drunk out there, swerving to miss spiders!

I found her in my car wash bucket. I live in South Central VA. About 30 minutes from the NC line. We have a creek about half a mile from the house.
I figured she was in my bucket b/c she knew I would eventually find her, and make sure she had plenty to eat, and a warm place to sleep {D J/K

She always likes to sit w/ her legs very close together. The front 2 and the rear 2, on each side. Very flat to the ground. She has large fangs, I would NOT want to get bitten by her.

Is there anything more you can tell me about this species? I really don't like opening her cage. She is very flightly!

Thank you both :)

BTW: She molted about 2 months ago, and it was a perfect molt!

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lol, i swerve for spiders too :) I would bet that you have D.tenebrosus if you found it that far from the creek. You don't really need to worry about getting bit by her at all. In all of the Dolomedes that I have cared for not a single one showed any signs of aggression. They are very flighty though like you mentioned. They will sit dead still and even let you pic them up and then with out warning POOF they are somewhere about 3 feet away. They are very easy spiders to care for. Just keep the cage humid and throw in a cricket (or other prey) as often as she will take one. the adults that I have had only fed about once or twice a month. They really like to climb and seem to really enjoy slabs of bark set up in the tank. These are really great spiders. They are not the most active but they are gorgeous and big. I'm gladyou found her.{D

Do all wolf spiders have the large 2 eyes in the center (top row)?
most of them. There are a few that live in caves that have very reduced eyes or none at all. All of the ones that you will find crawling around in VA will.

peace,
bobby

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Well, if she likes to climb, then a new setup is due for her :) I will have to make up something that will make her feel more at home!

I could NOT imagine picking her up though. She would probably nab me, and be on the ceiling before I blinked! That was some great info you gave me! I appreciate it.

I think she is awesome, even though intimidating! The way that black covering is around her eyes makes her look really wicked {D

She eats any time I put something in there. She won't grab it immediately,
but within the hour. What is their life span? I can tell she likes to climb. Now that I am sitting here thinking about it, I do see her walking around the sides, looking for something to grab on to. If I can get a cup over her, I will fix up her cage tonight! A little V-day present :)

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It's already been revealed you have a Dolomedes spp, but one thing I thought I'd add that I didn't see had been mentioned was that wolfspiders don't seem to (in my experience, and they're everywhere here) hold their legs in that "pointed" position (2 pair front 2 pair back) the way Dolomedes do.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Yes, that is right, now that I think about it. I have had one that when she had her babies they were on her back, and I know that is a wolf spider trait, right? I had "assumed" this one was a wolf spider, and I was wrong. The one that had the babies never held her legs like that.

What would you "call" this type of spider? Grass or field spider?

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
When the average person is talking about a 'fishing' spider (at least in this part of NC) they mean Dolomedes spp., I'm not sure but that may be the accepted common name for the species.

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can't tell exactly how old she is from the pics but she looks pretty large. I would say she is full grown or close to it.

Bobby