A True Beauty: the P. Subfusca

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So today I received my first P. Subfusca and man is this spider awesome. I think it just replace my favorite which was the P. Metallica. This is a 3.5-4” female that has just molted. This species reminds me of the Rufilata and should so since they are related. Instead of going in to flight like my Metallic it just decides to hunker down and pretend your not there when exposed to light or when opening their cages to feed them, which is exactly what my Rufilata does. The subfusca has jet black legs with the common Rufilata markings. This black just makes the yellow and orange banding pop on the legs. The carapace is indescribable with the starburst patterned lined with a silverish white hue. The Metallica has white markings on its carapace but is nothing like the Subfusca. The Metallica’s marking just seems to be a blotch as where the Subfusca’s marking traces the starburst. Okay… I guess I should stop marveling over this spider but really, everyone needs to see one of these spiders for themselves before they die to truly appreciate their beauty.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you're going to post a review like that, then at the very least you should also post a picture. :drool: So, cough it up already! ;)

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OOOhhh...and I forgot to mention that they turn purple in adulthood, the females at least.;P

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay here she is!!!

This camera is a 3.2 megapixel and it doesn't do it justice.

Last edited:

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i agree, but if its 3.5"-4" it doesnt have much more to go, they only get around 5" adult size.

I cant wait to get one, but I want to save up till I have the money for a female.

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think that it might a common misnomer that Subfusca's are a small species of Poecilotheria. I have seen pics where they are 7in in size and I've heard they can grow bigger. They are closely related to the Rufilata which can grow very big?

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the breeders I spoke to said they grow 5" usually, sometimes they hit 6". Rufliata is the biggest pokies (rivaled by Ornata). They both hit around 9". I dont think Subfusca can grow to 7" but I dont personally own one, so thats all just what I heard.

Either way its gorgeous, and I happen to like the smaller size. Subfusca is in my top 3 arboreals, along with metallica, and h maculata.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One thing that gets me with subfusca/rufilata/ornata is the gold bolt on the metatarsus, in these pics its really shiny :p

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is one beautiful spidey! My plan is to get at least one of every Pokie... but that may take a few years!

Congrats on that amazing addition!

r4iney

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with you, it is better-looking than P. metallica. Post some more pictures of it, once you get time. :worship:

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Another pic of her!!!!

Okay, so I was pretty busy today but I got one picture off. I took this one outside and it was over cast. Hopeful tomorrow brings lots of sun so that purple will pop. More pics soon to come!!

Last edited:

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
awesome spider :clap:

i'll be getting one of these in a few months. you see, my dad needs an excuse to get me a new T, so he's getting me it as a grade graduation present. also how i got my Cyriopagopus sp. "blue".

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These are some beautiful spiders but I guess because of my imagination..they seem so vicious lol...(this is just how I see them, i know they arent vicious but this is just my take on them so dont bite my head off) because of their eyes..if you look at their eyes really close the blackness around their eyes makes them look like thier making a mean face lol...
:evil: <~~~ kinda like this one

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love how its not just solid purple just subtle hints that when you look at them are very vibrant.

Its definately the next T im getting. I wouldnt even say that they are nicer looking than the metallica, its just they are such a different look, a completely different type of beauty with them compared to metallica which very "in your face" for lack of a better way to describe it

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you Kids want more pics???!!!

Overcast again...oh the day when full sun and purple collide!

Last edited:

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wonderful thread, I have to agree that they are beautiful. Perhaps though this thread is in the wrong forum.