A Terrestrial Enclosure Ventilation Question

LoneSong

Arachnopeon
So i figure out joining Arachnoboard before getting my first T on monday (tomorrow) i've done my research and i'm going get a Brachypelma Albo
So today i'm going to make the enclosure for it.. its a 4 cm juvenile and the enclosure is 22×15×13. First question is the enclosure big enough? second question is how much ventilation do i need? 14802393774401992316748.jpg

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
don't worry, the enclosure is big enough. As for ventilation, it depends on how you want to do it? I suggest poking holes, because T's claws can get stuck in mesh and can rip their legs off if they hang by their claw. I would poke a bunch of holes on the top and one line of holes near the top along the all four sides. Provide a good amount of substrate, a water dish and a hide and you're good to go! And remember, Brachy's don't like it too moist ;)

LoneSong

Arachnopeon
don't worry, the enclosure is big enough. As for ventilation, it depends on how you want to do it? I suggest poking holes, because T's claws can get stuck in mesh and can rip their legs off if they hang by their claw. I would poke a bunch of holes on the top and one line of holes near the top along the all four sides. Provide a good amount of substrate, a water dish and a hide and you're good to go! And remember, Brachy's don't like it too moist ;)
ahh maybe i should poke alot of holes than... wherre i came from the air humidity is already 70%

Trenor

Arachnoprince
You shouldn't need but about 10 or so evenly spaced out. They can deal with a little humidity just don't have the substrate be too damp.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
So i figure out joining Arachnoboard before getting my first T on monday (tomorrow) i've done my research and i'm going get a Brachypelma Albo
So today i'm going to make the enclosure for it.. its a 4 cm juvenile and the enclosure is 22×15×13. First question is the enclosure big enough? second question is how much ventilation do i need? View attachment 225657
The size is near perfect for your sling. Fill it at least 1/2 the height with firmly packed substrate. When young, these are real bulldozers, and readily dig a burrow. Provide a hide, water dish and a plastic leaf or two (I place sphagnum moss strands).
For vent holes, be careful on the size, in a row on 4 sides about 2-3cm from the top. I use a number 30-35 drill bit to prevent the possibility of an escape, especially feeders. Personally, I'd drill 4-6 holes on the top, mainly to avoid a micro climate. Plus, if just adding water, no need to remove the lid. Indonesian humidity levels won't adversely affect an albo that much, just keep the substrate dry and the T will do fine.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
When you poke holes, use a soldering iron or heat up a nail really hot. It's like a hot knife through butter. It makes nice uniform holes and resists cracking my merely punching a hole .
Other than that, enjoy your new addition

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Two holes would suffice, believe it or not. I used to punch 10+ holes in containers when I first started out. Ts require such little O2 that only a couple of holes are necessary for some species. This is one of them.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
perfect. A few holes on the top and a couple at either end on the sides will do nicely. Just make sure the holes aren't to big that the sling can fit abdomen through and escape ;)

LoneSong

Arachnopeon
Aaahhh thank you all
I made a mistake and made 34 holes on the top.. now i need to tape most of them

Trenor

Arachnoprince
That is fine too. B.Albo are not that picky when it come to conditions that you would have to tape up some of the holes.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.