A tarantula stuck in molt?

forfun

Arachnopeon
So for a hour ago i came home from work and i saw the p.cancerides like this

https://imgur.com/a/Gsu6M

U can see a piece of the molt behind him (i can see the face on there)

Should i just let him be for a while before doing anything?

starnaito

Arachnosquire
How long has he been like that, and can you see any kind of movement? I would say leave him be unless it's been way too long.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Unfortunately, with such little progress made, if s/he's really stuck then there really isn't anything that can be done. Leave it alone, let nature take it's course and see what happens. Because you can't do anything positive right now, only negative.

forfun

Arachnopeon
How long has he been like that, and can you see any kind of movement? I would say leave him be unless it's been way too long.
Ive just seen him like that for an hour so i dont really know. Yeah from the fangs when i moved the enclosure so i guess he is struggling

starnaito

Arachnosquire
Ive just seen him like that for an hour so i dont really know. Yeah from the fangs when i moved the enclosure so i guess he is struggling
Yeah, just give him some time. One of mine took around 6 hours from start to finish and I think others on here can note some longer molts, so sometimes it just takes them a while. I hope it all goes smoothly.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Am I wrong in interpreting that just the legs are stuck and the abdomen, carapace, and fangs are out but already hardened? I could be wrong, but that's at least what it looks like to me.

If it's legs are the only thing stuck, there's at least some hope because all the vital parts appear to be out. It could amputate the legs if it needs to. It would just require more intensive care on your part because it might not be able to hunt on it's own.

Hope your little guy makes it out as alright as it can be

forfun

Arachnopeon
Guys it made just a little progress more this far, not much at all. But when i touch the enclosure it struggles and tries to push the molt away i think. So it's still alive but struggling :O I dont really know what i should do, im farily new to tarantulas. Should i just leave it and see if it makes it or not?

My guess is that it wont make it thats my feeling, but i hope he makes it!

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Has it been in the dorsal position since it started to molt? It wouldn't be able to wriggle its legs out if the animals weight forces it down - they should be upside down. It's best to wait 48-60 hours before intervening to ensure that the exoskeleton hardens completely. Attempting to intervene too early and the soft underlying exoskeleton is at risk for tears and injuries.

ICU is definitely a myth. The chitinous compound in the exoskeleton is water-resistant which also render slings incapable of sinking.

forfun

Arachnopeon
Has it been in the dorsal position since it started to molt? It wouldn't be able to wriggle its legs out if the animals weight forces it down - they should be upside down. It's best to wait 48-60 hours before intervening to ensure that the exoskeleton hardens completely. Attempting to intervene too early and the soft underlying exoskeleton is at risk for tears and injuries.

ICU is definitely a myth. The chitinous compound in the exoskeleton is water-resistant which also render slings incapable of sinking.
I dont know about that since when i came home that day it was upright. For now its still alive and almost no progress when i move the encsloure a little i see moments on the fangs. It has been some time now could i try to put him on his back?