a tarantula show that was on today....

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry, I had to bring it up again.. It said that a Antilles pinktoe was a something birdeater..... Now I dont think that they get that big..... Am I wrong or is that its common name?

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They called it a Martinique(sp) birdspider....that has also been used as the common name for the A. Versicolor. I thougth it was a very infomative show...

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
what show?

channel? wonder if it will be on again soon?, i should start taping these shows--Jeff

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
birdeaters

Avicularia versicolor goes by a few common names: Antilies pinktoe, Martinique pinktoe birdeater, Guadeloupe pinktoe birdeater, Antilies birdeater that newbies kill as a $35 spiderling, etc. Many other T's are called birdeaters that don't eat birds. At 4.5" you are correct that it probably doesn't eat birds.

The biophysics of the muscle attachment of all arthropods, including T's gives them great strenght for their size. T's smaller than the Goliath Birdeater, T. blondi, can and do catch and eat birds (I have it on video).

Even though I realize you might have been posting an inside joke, I responded, because I have no shame...I'm an arachnopeon!

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Avi- bird
cularia-eating
if im not mistaken, which i often am, i remember reading about a swiss woman having a drawing of a tarantula eating a hummingbird in her book, back in the 1700's. the tarantula is believed to be an Avicularia.

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Martinique Pinktoe Hummingbirdeater

I didn't think about hummingbirds! I bet A. versicolor could eat a hummingbird! I have a new common name: the Antilles Martinique Pinktoe Hummingbirdeating Tarantula.

Originally posted by Lycanthrope
Avi- bird
cularia-eating
if im not mistaken, which i often am, i remember reading about a swiss woman having a drawing of a tarantula eating a hummingbird in her book, back in the 1700's. the tarantula is believed to be an Avicularia.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
weapon x--
you should read more of my posts. i am quite informative at times!

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what show was this? cahnnel?, thanks--Jeff
it will be on again.. It was a re-run anyways... It was one satruday april 12, at 1:00 in the after-noon.....

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I've already looked it up to make sure I get it taped, so here ya go...

Animal Planet "Profiles of Nature - Tarantulas"
04-17 10:00pm est

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, I think a long time ago, all tarantulas were refered to as bird eating spiders. Now I don't think that most are capable of capturing birds, however, tarantulas are opportunistic eaters, and will gladly eat something that is already dead or wounded. So when people who don't have a good understanding of tarantula behavior, see a spider that is chowing down on tweety, they become known as bird eating spiders. Plus, just like the story of the fish that got away, the tale of the tarantula grows and grows and grows -- to the point of mass public paranoia and arachnophobia.

Jon

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Jon,
I have a video of a T capturing, killing and eating a bird that has to be almost twice the T's size. Don't forget birds are light for their size too, and all arthropods have great strength for their size. I was thinking the same thing you were until someone brougt up the hummingbird factor. I bet many arboreal T's could eat a hummingbird as easy as they could eat a moth.

I'm willing to bet birds eat more T's than vice versa. However, the occasional twist of fate is horrific enough to become legendary.

Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Yeah, I think a long time ago, all tarantulas were refered to as bird eating spiders. Now I don't think that most are capable of capturing birds, however, tarantulas are opportunistic eaters, and will gladly eat something that is already dead or wounded. So when people who don't have a good understanding of tarantula behavior, see a spider that is chowing down on tweety, they become known as bird eating spiders. Plus, just like the story of the fish that got away, the tale of the tarantula grows and grows and grows -- to the point of mass public paranoia and arachnophobia.

Jon

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mendi
I've already looked it up to make sure I get it taped, so here ya go...

Animal Planet "Profiles of Nature - Tarantulas"
04-17 10:00pm est

Its not on!